Small Body Strat

GREGMW

Hi,

I am thinking of building a small body strat (about half as wide but the same length) but I am not sure if it will affect the sound/tone with the smaller body.

I am going to use some Ash.

Any thoughts.

Regards

Greg

It'll be damn uncomfortable to play (unless you're really small) and probably will end up being neck heavy (although you could counter that by moving the scrap buttons around).

As for change in tone, I doubt there'd be an audible difference --the only way to know that would be to take an existing guitar and chop it up.

I did that to my telecaster (while making the Bocaster), and quite frankly, it's the same guitar. Just a lot less comfortable to play. :D

Draw it out full scale. I'm guessing this may not look as good to you once you see it "in person". I've had a few disconnects between my mind's eye and reality so this is a good way to test. Then again, you might like it and that's all that matters. However, as Mickguard points out, I can't imagine it being comfortable to play or very well balanced.

Are there any other factors other than aesthetics in your idea of going with a stretched out strat look?

half as wide, is going to put you in Steinberger territory. The "downsized" strat bodies I'm familiar with are often called 7/8 size bodies. Now, maybe that means for every 1 inch on a regular strat body, you have it 7/8ths of an inch on the downsized body ?

My Kramer Sustainer guitar has a downsized strat shape, although "sharp" edges like a Jackson.

Oh yeah, I think Charvel marketed this smaller body design as "Dinky".

Maybe it's the opposite direction you're supposed to go . If you think about some of the really good guitar players being on the little side, then it's like having a guitar that's actually bigger than normal (for them).

Randy Rhoads would fit inside the glove compartment box in your car.

John Mayall travels with a cut down Strat... (Squier actually), so, you're probably okay.

That's pretty interesting - with the exception of the headstock its even smaller than the original Steinberger broom shape. Personally, I wouldn't like the lack of support for the picking arm but that's me.

I guess the question for GREGMW is whether he feels he will be comfortable with the guitar shape he's considering. As GuitarFrenzy points out with his quick Photoshop work, it would be odd looking - like a funhouse mirror effect. Is that what he's going after or is it more the dinky Strat look?

Hey thanks for all your great input.

It does look a bit strange when you see it -Thanks guitar frenzy for the pic.

My reason was mainly to use it as a light travel type of guitar that I could take away without too much hassle,(and also make something that was a bit different ).

The one John Mayall is playing is kind of what I was thinking about and I have since found that he cut that down himself.

Cheers

Greg

I have a model (nothing like a Strat) that is about 2/3 of the normal width of a Strat. To make it hang nicely on a strap I have a longer upper horn. It’s usually made out of mahogany with maple top and the sound (unplugged) is very similar to a standard LP. Especially if it’s combined with a mahogany set neck and a stop tailpiece. So you probably don’t have to worry too much about changing that sound if you just make it skinnier and keep everything else standard.

Definitely play a Steinberger or other "travel guitar" to be sure the concept works for you. In fact, don't reject the option of just buying a Steinberger out of hand. I got one because I knew I'd be going on a few work trips, but I use it around the house all the time now for quick bouts of practice. Square doesn't look very cool, but it leans against any wall without falling over...

I've got an article that shows how Tim Donahue built the pre-production model of this guitar out of a single piece of wood, with a router being his only power tool. It's always been tempting for me to try.

http://www.timdonahue.net/ishibashitdguit.jpg

Very cool! I took a quick look at Tim Donahue's site and saw some comments regarding the guitar. Is that article you mention available online by any chance? I'm not so interested in the fretless aspect but I'm a fan of the headless guitar...