String thru body

Hi,

I am considering building my own guitar but first am pricing up the parts.

My plan is to have a Jem shaped guitar with string-thru-body (example: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?m...odel=AXS32&z=y), however I can't find any information on how to do this.

What type of bridge is used? Is it the same as on a guitar that would have a tailpiece, except the strings just go through the body?

Does it matter where the holes are drilled? For instance, looking on differnet guitar models the 6 holes that go through the body are drilled in different patterns - is there any special reason for this?

Where cna I get the eyelets that protect the edges of the holes? (are there eyelets used as protection, or is it just a neatly finished hole?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am looking forward to starting this project ASAP!

Thanks,

Freestyler

[EDIT: Would a bridge such as this be suitable? http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailp..._Tailpiece.html )

that last one would not work on a string thru.you need a tune o matic style bridge.as far as where the strings go thru the body i don't believe it matters except that you want them far enough back so they won't hit the back of the bridge .best thing to do is find one you like and use it for an example

Freestyler, I just got done installing a string-thru, and I would recomment the Carvin FT6 (it comes with everything, including eyelets, which you do need unless you are highly skilled with a drill). I'm not sure if the pattern matters, I just marked the hole locations from the bridge, and drilled straight down.

The part: http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?...2=FT6C&P1=GTR/K

reaper is correct that is a string thru bridge.instead of doing it the way you are familiar with the strings actually go in through the saddles and the holes are under the bridge and come out the back through the eyelets provided.it is a good bridge and very simple to use.i prefer the tune o matic simply because the string height has a greater range of adjustment.

:D I like the fender style hardtail string thru briges!! it doesn't get any better for my money B)

Freestyler, just go to a music store and take some measurements on a guitar with a similar bridge, it looks about 1½" - 2" from the bridge. Why don't u try something cool like drilling the holes at an angle?.. hmm but then u'd have to get the eyelets or ferrules to match that angle somehow... well just a thought to make it different.