First Time!

My 7 year old son is learning to play the classical guitar. I thought it would be fun to learn along side him as we practice every morning. I build cabinets and furniture for my day job and have always thought that it would be cool to make an instrument. Which brings me to my call for help. I would like to buy a kit guitar and also some good books on how to build a classical guitar. Having a shop with both power and hand tools would allow me to get a kit that was slighty less finished. I would rather pay more for a kit that had better wood then one that was more finished. Thanks for all your help.

Mark did you even read his post? :D

He asked for a classical guitar kit. I personally have never seen one for sale so I can't help you. But I can recomend a good book.

Guitar making tradition and technology by William R. Cumpiano and Jpnathan D. Natelson.

It covers how to make classical and steel string models and is 380 pages long (tons of info)

My 7 year old son is learning to play the classical guitar. I thought it would be fun to learn along side him as we practice every morning. I build cabinets and furniture for my day job and have always thought that it would be cool to make an instrument. Which brings me to my call for help. I would like to buy a kit guitar and also some good books on how to build a classical guitar. Having a shop with both power and hand tools would allow me to get a kit that was slighty less finished. I would rather pay more for a kit that had better wood then one that was more finished. Thanks for all your help.

lmii.com sells kits im pretty sure

Adam

LMI has kits in various degrees of 'done-ness'. Additionally, I reccomend buying Cumpiano and Natelson's Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology (a book, that), reading it cover to cover, registering at MIMF.com, and reading through the many, many discussions in their library relating to acoustic guitar (use the catalog, not the search function. More useful for this kind of thing). I used Cumpiano as a basis, and used a lot of other technique (molds, side benders, reverse kerfed lining, that sort of thing) that I learned from the MIMF discussions and library. Project Guitar's great, but it's not where all the acoustic folks hang out :D

For that, you want MIMF.com, Luthiersforum.com, and to a point, the AcousticGuitar.com Luthier's Corner, although that's got a different feel to it.

Before you buy a kit. Get the book and read as much as you can in the forums. You will find a huge part of building acoustics is in the jigs and tools that make for a good project. There are a lot of great tutorials out there for building many of these. That is really the best place to start. Hopefully we will have a few builds going here soon for some examples.