Bridge And Strings Problem

I usually leave my guitar tuned at C#, but my g/f and I were gonna jam today and so I decided to bring it up to standard. I do that, pull the strings a few times and keep tunning until it's fine. Then 15 minutes later I notice something weird from the corner of my eye. I look down and there's my bridge lifting from the guitar about .5 to a whole inch. I freaked out, tuned all the strings down and it went back to normal. Can anyone explain to me why it's doing this? Is it because the strings have just settled and the only way to fix this is by getting new strings put on? Thanks.

-Jamie

Don't freak out, just think about it.

When you tune it up to normal tuning, you're increasing the tension of the strings --which pull that much harder on the springs attached to the trem block.

So in order to tune up, you'd have to compensate by adding more counterpull from the springs --either add an extra spring or tighten the claw down.

I usually leave my guitar tuned at C#, but my g/f and I were gonna jam today and so I decided to bring it up to standard. I do that, pull the strings a few times and keep tunning until it's fine. Then 15 minutes later I notice something weird from the corner of my eye. I look down and there's my bridge lifting from the guitar about .5 to a whole inch. I freaked out, tuned all the strings down and it went back to normal. Can anyone explain to me why it's doing this? Is it because the strings have just settled and the only way to fix this is by getting new strings put on? Thanks.

-Jamie

I am assuming that you had your guitar setup to play in drop C.

By tuning it to standard you put on quite a bit more tension than the bridge was willing to take. I suggest getting your bridge fixed, getting lighter strings and also a setup.

It sucks but you can't just go from standard tuning to drop C and vice versa without any problems.

Hope that clears things up.

Ohhhhhhhh! Floyd Rose, I'm an idiot.

Edited by Max_Powers

I'm assuming you've got a floating tremelo i.e. Floyd Rose?

If so, you have to tighten the trem springs (by tightening the claw screws) to compensate for the increased string tension you created by tuning higher. This is common to all floating bridges - the balance point between the springs and strings determines where your bridge sits - ideally it is level with the body.

Mike

Sorry I wasn't more descriptive. The guitar first came in standard, I then tuned the strings down to C#, so there were no adjustments to the bridge or anything, the only thing that was different was the strings being more wobbly, hence being tuned down.

The bridge is a standard Strat bridge.

I think what may have happened is I put new strings on it, but didn't put it to E, so therefore there isn't slack, so when you tune it up, the only thing that can move is the tremolo. Is this a possibility?

I think my solution is to just add new strings, which is no biggy, except some of the screws moved up a bit, and I hope it didn't strip the wood.

-Jamie

You're right, the only thing that can move is the trem, but lack of string slack is not your problem. And bridge screws moving doesn't sound like a good thing. :D

When you first got it, did the trem normally sit flush against the body? Strat trems can be set up for floating or non-floating operation. How many screws does it have - six or two? How many springs are you using?

If your springs were loosened or one or more were removed (although you said there were no adjustments) you could experience the rising bridge problem when you tune to standard. I'd recommend you take it to a pro to get it checked out, especially if those screws moved and/or stripped out.

Mike

Medium gauge strings.

I'll take it to a tech. Here's hoping they won't charge me lol.

You're certain you don't want to take everyone else's advice first? I get the feeling you don't trust us. :D

Sure he does - we told him to take it to a pro B)

(and who is that jabbering scary guy? your avatar is creeping me out :D )

Hmmmm....

If you want to jam with the girlfriend get some wood and block up the trem with it before tuning up... :D

What???...hey quit laughing, I'm serious...works for clapton...his strat comes standard with wood in the back...seriously, what...what'd I say??!!! :D