Dragon Guitar

Well...I am ready for my next project! Think this one is a little more of a challenge...and will probally take longer. Gave my last project to my son (the Batman guitar) and he really loved it! This one will be for me? ....Maybe? I welcome all comments...critics? I just drew up the design, what I would like it to some what look like....Although it may change a bit? Let me know what you guitar buiders think?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/darkside7/DRAGON1.jpg

well its awesome but the headstock should really change IMO

MMM...I thought about that...Not sure to what though? maybe something more exotic? Nothing is really set as: this is how its gon'na be ....Looks has alot to do with it.

-Darkside

Honestly it looks like it would be a little hard to play sitting down. I wouldn't change a single thing on it though, that looks amazing.

That was my thoughts...Just some guitars you just gotta play standing...Like the v's it just not a sitting guitar

I don't know after you build it you'll actually play it..

It seems awesome and really gorgeous

But its just that maybe after you built it, with all those details as dragons horns, scales, all those, and its extra big body, you might think of it as more of a prize... then an actual instrument..

It doesn't seem practical....

Not an expert on psychology, but I think you know what I'm saying.

Good luck!

-IR

something like a widow headstock would look cool, make it more extreme than the widow though, that might fit nice at least something symmetrical to match the body so i think it should be a 3x3

Here it is with the widow headstock? what you think?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/darkside7/WIDOW.jpg

I like it, post lots of links to pics of your progress I'm a huge fan of unique guitar designs. As for your headstock I agree with Nitefly SA I think it needs something a little deferent but you should do what you think is best, I'll still like it.

I sure would've liked to have seen the Batman guitar done with a woodgrain Finnish but thats just me you probably made the right decision changing your mind.

I don't know after you build it you'll actually play it..

It seems awesome and really gorgeous

But its just that maybe after you built it, with all those details as dragons horns, scales, all those, and its extra big body, you might think of it as more of a prize... then an actual instrument..

It doesn't seem practical....

Not an expert on psychology, but I think you know what I'm saying.

Good luck!

-IR

Actually...you are right! it is a prize...along with all the other builders that post their guitars..those are their prizes...yep! The bottom is kind of bulky? have suggestions?....Yes...there will be alot of details and I might liminate a few horns..And you are right! Not just anyone can jump on it and play it...but ..I have other guitars for that....As for pratical...No! its not going to be user friendly sort of speak, and as we have already figured out ya gonna have to stand to play it....But it will be an actual playing instrument....I'm not an expert on psychology either...Would like to hear your input on how maybe to take some of the bulk away...

Thanks

I like it, post lots of links to pics of your progress I'm a huge fan of unique guitar designs. As for your headstock I agree with Nitefly SA I think it needs something a little deferent but you should do what you think is best, I'll still like it.

I sure would've liked to have seen the Batman guitar done with a woodgrain Finnish but thats just me you probably made the right decision changing your mind.

I will post alot of pictures on this one...I still gonna work on the headstock..the widow don't do it for me but it does look better? As for the batman guitar ...I liked the grain better too...My son wanted it black...So thats what he got..he sure did like it! it played great...Well one thing is for sure...the dragon guitar will be natural

Thanks, Darkside

Maybe try a lighter body wood and a heavier neck wood and try to balance between the 2. But once again, this only matters if you'll be playing it frequently.

I already have the hondurn Mahogany wood for the body...I like this wood cause it takes carvings easily..I guess I could chamber the body if I had too?.... especially if its a weight factor, as feeling unbalanced. I will be playing it mostly standing up, I'm sure...sure would hate to have a sore shoulder after a few minutes of playing...and I am afraid that's what will happen if I leave the body solid... Not sure on the neck? still working on a head stock design...something that matches a little better...I guess when I figure out what kind of head design it will have, I can figure out a balance

thanks for ya input -Darkside

Hey Batman...you changed the pics without reposting...so I got no email to say it had been finished...very stealthy

Great stuff with the yellow...terrific and it does look good in black...

Ok...so now it's dragons...you must have a dark side, darkside...hehehe

WIDOW.jpg

Not bad...i could see some inlaid scales here and there maybe, of abalone perhaps on the wings maybe...real ruby's in the eyes...how's the budget...

But you know what I think it needs...Excaliber...

How about a sword blade separating the two dragons the length of the neck through the bridge and pickups to the tail. Ok...so of course the headstock would be the hilt...I'm sure you could somehow incorporate the tuners in some kind of mock jewel encrusting type effect...maybe bind the headstock in leather...hmmm

Or...perhaps that's a bit much...too much? I don't know, I see dragons I just want to swing a sword somehow...sure would look good hanging over the mantle of the old castle though...just a thought...you do live in a castle right, I mean "darkside" got to be at least a manor house of some sort, maybe some secret passages, pole down to a cave below...

pete

Hey Batman...you changed the pics without reposting...so I got no email to say it had been finished...very stealthy

Great stuff with the yellow...terrific and it does look good in black...

Ok...so now it's dragons...you must have a dark side, darkside...hehehe

WIDOW.jpg

Not bad...i could see some inlaid scales here and there maybe, of abalone perhaps on the wings maybe...real ruby's in the eyes...how's the budget...

But you know what I think it needs...Excaliber...

How about a sword blade separating the two dragons the length of the neck through the bridge and pickups to the tail. Ok...so of course the headstock would be the hilt...I'm sure you could somehow incorporate the tuners in some kind of mock jewel encrusting type effect...maybe bind the headstock in leather...hmmm

Or...perhaps that's a bit much...too much? I don't know, I see dragons I just want to swing a sword somehow...sure would look good hanging over the mantle of the old castle though...just a thought...you do live in a castle right, I mean "darkside" got to be at least a manor house of some sort, maybe some secret passages, pole down to a cave below...

pete

You inspired me in a dark way....Took me back to the medevil times...where I made through the secret passages down to the dark dungeon and with the response you gave...created the final closure on the dragon guitar...at least for the basic design...that "sword of darkness" runs throgh to the tale...Thanks so much for your creative response heres a picture from the "Darkside"

p.s. Oh you like the guitar stand? and the rubies in the eyes...will do

EDIT.jpg

Edited by Darkside

Wow. The neck is perfect now. Stick with that style!

Psw response with the idea of the sword worked for me...as well as the tuners being jewels you turn...Now thats the easy part....Now the next is building this in the dungeon work shop...Stay cool...thanks for the input -Darkside

You inspired me in a dark way....Took me back to the medevil times...where I made through the secret passages down to the dark dungeon and with the response you gave...created the final closure on the dragon guitar...at least for the basic design...that "sword of darkness" runs throgh to the tale...Thanks so much for your creative response heres a picture from the "Darkside"

EDIT.jpg

Hmmmm...super-natural...you anticipated my next suggestion...that shield, that is an enlargement of the protective back plate that easily allows access to the hidden hollowed chamber, control cavity, scroll of authenticity, ownership papers, quest documents, dragon vaxination certificates....good thinking...that should lighten the thing if need be. Of course the sword will help balance it if necessary anyway.

Just be carefull where you place the volume and tone knobs...those dragons look like they wouldn't like their knobs tweaked too much, sword of no sword...(but then I'm sure Merlin would have warned you about that when he foresaw this post)...

Nice stand too...and always good to see members dressing up...the black knight still on bass?

Remember me to Gwen too... Sir Pete Sustain-a-lot

Edited by psw

EDIT.jpg

Hmmmm...super-natural...you anticipated my next suggestion...that shield, that is an enlargement of the protective back plate that easily allows access to the hidden hollowed chamber, control cavity, scroll of authenticity, ownership papers, quest documents, dragon vaxination certificates....good thinking...that should lighten the thing if need be. Of course the sword will help balance it if necessary anyway.

Just be carefull where you place the volume and tone knobs...those dragons look like they wouldn't like their knobs tweaked too much, sword of no sword...(but then I'm sure Merlin would have warned you about that when he foresaw this post)...

Nice stand too...and always good to see members dressing up...the black knight still on bass?

Remember me to Gwen too... Sir Pete Sustain-a-lot

Dear Sir Pete (Sustain-a-Lot)

You must be a dragon Slayer? Hmmm...Slaying Dragons, you always have to anicipate the thier next move.. I did think about that... adding a chamber on the back and using the plate as a cover...You knew that before I just mentioned it here?...Therefore ...You must be a Dragon slayer...or would make a good one...As for me this is my second run with the dragons...I built a 1926 ford T-bucket with the theme Dragon Slayer (1st Place show car winner)...It also had the Sword of Darkness, Sword of Light..as the back bumper and a carved dragon for a shifter...yeah...I've been on the Darkside for awhile. That would be cool about those certificates in those that chambers...But? How did you know about those certificates? Coat of Arms Cert./Ownership/the vacs records and others? -Darkside

Actually...you are right! it is a prize...along with all the other builders that post their guitars..those are their prizes...yep! The bottom is kind of bulky? have suggestions?....Yes...there will be alot of details and I might liminate a few horns..And you are right! Not just anyone can jump on it and play it...but ..I have other guitars for that....As for pratical...No! its not going to be user friendly sort of speak, and as we have already figured out ya gonna have to stand to play it....But it will be an actual playing instrument....I'm not an expert on psychology either...Would like to hear your input on how maybe to take some of the bulk away...

Thanks

Well, you seem be Fully aware. Then it's good.

For the body, as you mentioned, it will be up-right (am I right?) like.. a cello or double-bass..

So I was thinking why not add a stand or some kind of extension under it so you can play it standing up other than.. maybe squatting down. Just so you can add a little more plability factor into it.

As skills go, I think it won't be a problem, hearing about what you did with the Ford :D

Also, if it's gonna be up-right, why stick to the regular 2-D boring guitar shape?

My suggestion would be.. make the dragons kind of swirl around the neck pocket? Of course, you would need some gap to let your hand plag through the high frets. And also the wings could kinda spread out? So you can kinda get the 3-D effect.

I think that would be cool. (And also add a little monetary value too.. :D and of course sentimental value too.)

Trully a 1 of a kind guitar. And I mean trully a ONE OF A KIND B)

-IR

Gwen told me when she gave me the key to the chastity belt that, by the way, will be able to unlock the guitars hidden chambers also...oh yes it will...mwhhaahahaaa... :D

of course you knew that...

pete

Of course I knew that....lol :D Hey, I Looked back on the forum past... Do ya still have that traffic jam cheap made lil guitar made from things from the floor...Hey your great with shoe polish as well as finding something to do with those busted strings....I did notice it was black...yeah! the Darkside...Anyway I enjoyed looking at it...at least it good to know...if ya get trapped in the dungeon you can always depend on ya skills to fabricate an instrument from those buckles, chains and straps... -Darkside

Hey, I Looked back on the forum past... Do ya still have that traffic jam cheap made lil guitar made from things from the floor...Hey your great with shoe polish as well as finding something to do with those busted strings....I did notice it was black...yeah! the Darkside...Anyway I enjoyed looking at it...at least it good to know...if ya get trapped in the dungeon you can always depend on ya skills to fabricate an instrument from those buckles, chains and straps... -Darkside

Not with me (my ex has recently cast a curse upon my soul and it drifts aimlessly at present)...yes I am but a spirit from future past, that is I am from err, now...and shoe polish is the recomended finish for MDF (it brings out the grain), but i need not advise an artificer such as yourself on matter such as these...but lo, let us leave these troubled times, though it be winter there and 2am in the morning, it be 6pm Sunday evening here and the day is done, 36oC and tropical down in my dungeons, Merlin has done wonders with the time and climate shift and I have bathed today with the rich, semi-naked in the public baths, in this place that I have been cast...

So, for tonight I am content to rattle these chains, and the buckles and straps could come in handy, should the mood take me squire, I thank you for your foresight is supplying them...I shall retire now to feast upon a toasted cheese sandwich and contemplate the fates...but beware ye, for I shall return to haunt your projects with further dark thoughts...for now I will leave you with the disturbing image you doth provoke...behold the horror of the MDF guitar...

lowtechguitar2.jpg

Mwaahahahahhahaaa, hic, errr Sir Sustain-a-lot, pete :D

p.s. don't try this with northern MDF, only the MDF from Oz can bring out the "tone" required of such an instrument... You will have to suffice with Mahogany, for I intend to corcer the market on this tone wood!

Hey, I Looked back on the forum past... Do ya still have that traffic jam cheap made lil guitar made from things from the floor...Hey your great with shoe polish as well as finding something to do with those busted strings....I did notice it was black...yeah! the Darkside...Anyway I enjoyed looking at it...at least it good to know...if ya get trapped in the dungeon you can always depend on ya skills to fabricate an instrument from those buckles, chains and straps... -Darkside

Not with me (my ex has recently cast a curse upon my soul and it drifts aimlessly at present)...yes I am but a spirit from future past, that is I am from err, now...and shoe polish is the recomended finish for MDF (it brings out the grain), but i need not advise an artificer such as yourself on matter such as these...but lo, let us leave these troubled times, though it be winter there and 2am in the morning, it be 6pm Sunday evening here and the day is done, 36oC and tropical down in my dungeons, Merlin has done wonders with the time and climate shift and I have bathed today with the rich, semi-naked in the public baths, in this place that I have been cast...

So, for tonight I am content to rattle these chains, and the buckles and straps could come in handy, should the mood take me squire, I thank you for your foresight is supplying them...I shall retire now to feast upon a toasted cheese sandwich and contemplate the fates...but beware ye, for I shall return to haunt your projects with further dark thoughts...for now I will leave you with the disturbing image you doth provoke...behold the horror of the MDF guitar...

lowtechguitar2.jpg

Mwaahahahahhahaaa, hic, errr Sir Sustain-a-lot, pete :D

p.s. don't try this with northern MDF, only the MDF from Oz can bring out the "tone" required of such an instrument... You will have to suffice with Mahogany, for I intend to corcer the market on this tone wood!

Ahem...Ya sure the ex has that lap guitar?...I liked it so well...That I made me a copy..but added a few few things from the darkside of the dungeon...this will come in very handy when I not working on the dragon guitar...relax and have myself a drink,watch a movie......Today I will be cutting the pattern from the mohogany block of wood will post pics soon -Darkside

Oh! here's to ya!

FABULUS.jpg

Thanks

Well, you seem be Fully aware. Then it's good.

For the body, as you mentioned, it will be up-right (am I right?) like.. a cello or double-bass..

So I was thinking why not add a stand or some kind of extension under it so you can play it standing up other than.. maybe squatting down. Just so you can add a little more plability factor into it.

As skills go, I think it won't be a problem, hearing about what you did with the Ford :D

Also, if it's gonna be up-right, why stick to the regular 2-D boring guitar shape?

My suggestion would be.. make the dragons kind of swirl around the neck pocket? Of course, you would need some gap to let your hand plag through the high frets. And also the wings could kinda spread out? So you can kinda get the 3-D effect.

I think that would be cool. (And also add a little monetary value too.. :D and of course sentimental value too.)

Trully a 1 of a kind guitar. And I mean trully a ONE OF A KIND B)

-IR

LOL...Hmm...don't think I want to play it like a cello...what I meant was it is not going to be a guitar you play in a sitting position..because it would not be very comfortable...So...I'll have to stand...I think when I am finished it won't be the boring 2d guitar...but, more of an eye wonder...cause there will be so much details in the carving . Hmm..I see everything in 3-D in life unless its drawn...Right? I placed the dragon heads where as leaving enough room for the playing of high frets without having bloody knuckles...well its off to the dungeon...post pics soon...thanks -Darkside

I'm back to post a start picture

START.jpg

Just checking to see if everything is going alright

CHECKING.jpg

Edited by Darkside