Fender Eric Clapton Strat Neck Problem

hi i have a fender eric clapton strat with a maple neck. on the back of the neck the finish has worn down in 3 spots to the wood so it feels rough when u play. the neck is finished in a clear natural finish, im not sure what type though. was wondering if i could fix it with some leftover ktm9 ( water based lacquer from lmii) or some shellac. im not all the concerned about it matching cosmetically just want a smooth neck.

thanks, Adam

High dollar guitar, spend the coin to get it fixed properly.

Or, if you want to be cheap mix a little fresh *dewaxed* shellac (from flakes) and pad it over the area. Smooth will a little 00000 steel wool or high grade wet or dry, and buff by hand. This will seal the wood and allow a future repairer to spray nitro without any adhesion problems.

Don't use KTM or ready mixed or waxy shellac; the instrument is too pricy to use cutprice DIY solutions.

Or, if you want to be cheap mix a little fresh *dewaxed* shellac (from flakes) and pad it over the area. Smooth will a little 00000 steel wool or high grade wet or dry, and buff by hand. This will seal the wood and allow a future repairer to spray nitro without any adhesion problems.

Don't use KTM or ready mixed or waxy shellac; the instrument is too pricy to use cutprice DIY solutions.

any idea how much it would cost to have it professionally done? or where i could have it done? guitar center is about the only place near me that does repairs. im in ny

thanks, Adam

any idea how much it would cost to have it professionally done? or where i could have it done? guitar center is about the only place near me that does repairs. im in ny

thanks, Adam

You do NOT go to Guitar Center for repairs. I'm sure there are good builders/repairers dotted around NY, but since I don't live there, I'm of no help.

Just to open your options a bit, anyone capable of doing fine finish work on wood can do the job. After all, its still just wood ... only it has EC's signature on it, :D . So don't rule out anyone around you who restores antiques or does any other form of high end wood finishing.

Edited by Southpa

You do NOT go to Guitar Center for repairs. I'm sure there are good builders/repairers dotted around NY, but since I don't live there, I'm of no help.

I've never seen a GC that does repair work in house. Most can't even do a proper setup in house. They, like most other music stores, outsource to a local shop that specializes in repairs. Ask who they use/suggest and check on them yourself.

GBT

I've never seen a GC that does repair work in house. Most can't even do a proper setup in house. They, like most other music stores, outsource to a local shop that specializes in repairs. Ask who they use/suggest and check on them yourself.

GBT

True, I asked the Guitar Center in Little Rock, who did their repairs, and they send them to a local repairman, no in house, which kinda suprised me.

GBT

True, I asked the Guitar Center in Little Rock, who did their repairs, and they send them to a local repairman, no in house, which kinda suprised me.

the guitar center near me actually does the repaurs a tech comes on tuesdays only. i doubt they could repair the finish though.

adam

• 1 month later...