Using A Cnc

Hi Im new and looking for help!

I have access to a CNC machine and would like to create a carved top body for a variax transplant. I'd like something like this....

http://www.guitaristjeffmiller.com/guitars10.htm

but without the pickups. It doesnt have to be a prs shape I'd just like a nice carved body.

How would I go about doing this? would i need to create the drawing in CAD and then somehow create "g-code" ?? Is there anybody who would be willing to provide me with code?! or create something for a price?

How do you convert CAD drawings to g-code?

thanks

Neil

ps. i donated, waiting for account to be upgraded! could i create a body from the templates in the downloads section?

Hi Im new and looking for help!

I have access to a CNC machine and would like to create a carved top body for a variax transplant.

How would I go about doing this? would i need to create the drawing in CAD and then somehow create "g-code" ?? Is there anybody who would be willing to provide me with code?! or create something for a price?

How do you convert CAD drawings to g-code?

waiting for account to be upgraded! could i create a body from the templates in the downloads section?

What kind is your mill and what is it capable of doing? Is it only a 2D machine, which can do pocketing and 2D routing or can you use it to machine 3D contours as well?

If your machine is a 3D mill, you'll need a 3D CAD model of the top. Modelling a carved top body is a tedious job, and requires right tools. Most of the 3D CAD software really can not handle this type of complex surfaces, or at least the surfaces can not be easily created with them. The 2D body outlines at the download section will not help you very far.

After you have your model you'll need to use a CAM processor to convert the cad model to G-code (or what kind of code your machine accepts). There are several brands, but Mastercam is maybe the most well known.

If you want to save time, don't go with the CNC. You can carve the top with help of some power tools in a couple of hours, but you'll propably have to spend several days just to make the 3D CAD model (depending of you previous CAD-experience). If you just want to learn to use your mill, or you are planning on manufacturing several identical bodies then go for it. Remember to post pictures of your progress to all PG readers.

Spyykko is right on. Unless you are totally dedicated to using the CNC to carve your top, just do it by hand. I'm trying to do my whole guitar on the cnc, I use it at work and it seems fun to do it this way, but I could have probably been done a long time ago if I just did it by hand.

If you do decide to go with the cnc, I would love to give you some advice but I need to know what your machine is capable of. What brand of machine do you have? Is it a 2 or 3 axis machine?