Can You Build A Guitar Website?

Alright guys,

On here in the past, I've seen some people (generally young 'uns) offering to do websites for people (usually as part of a course of some description). As some of you might know, I'm working with a luthier on a new guitar that's getting close to completion (don't worry, they'll be plenty of photos).

Unfortunately though, the person who created his website can't do it anymore and has lost the program that he did it with. Something about his laptop being struck with lightning :D .

The website needs a fair bit of updating, with new models, reviews, sound clips and the like. However we're not sure how to access it to change things. Is there anyone that would like to have a look at this and help out a couple of http numpties? If you charge then could you give me an idea of how much or what you would trade. You could always ask him for one of his guitars, but I know what the answer to that would be. Need I mention that my mate, being a luthier, has very little money.

MODS - I'm putting a link to the website below, in case it helps anyone understand how it was created or anything along those lines (god knows if it will). I'm not advertising or anything. However, if you feel that it's inappropriate to have it in the Announcements Section could you please leave this post here and just delete the link. Cheers guys.

Here's the website: www.deltaresonatorguitars.co.uk

Nice one

Kaj

The web being what it is, your web weenie could be anywhere. Even in Alabama for that matter.

It's a good looking site, and if you need just a few tweaks here and there I can certainly put them into the site for you. There is only a simple lack of the FTP username and password needed for me to do anything.

If you would like to have my help contact me through email or PM to arrange things. I'm not worried about getting paid, if that helps you decide.

Cheers Mr Dancing Banana Man.

I was only after someone over here so that if they wanted payment for anything, it would be easy to sort out.

I'm off to see him tonight, so I'll ask if he can track the bloke down and get the passwords.

You truly are a gezzer (and I'll try to wangle you a discount if you ever want one, I can highly reccomend his cheapest one, it's the dogs danglies)

After looking at the html source it looks like it was either done in Macromedia Dreamweaver (most likely) or Microsoft FrontPage (possible but I don't think so).

I believe it's Dreamweaver more so than FrontPage is because though the in page javascript uses the same function naming convention (everything begins with MM_) but there's no editor tag which FrontPage always plugs in.

In anycase, it's a simple layout, all someone really needs is notepad if they know what they're doing. :D

It was done in Dreamweaver as far as I know (or at least that's ringing bells).

Cheers guys, you're all a very helpful bunch. Hope to return the compliment one day :D

Yes, just like Gorecki was saying, it definitely looks like Dreamweaver was used.. I need to learn Dreamweaver better myself, as I learned to use Frontpage long ago, and haven't changed. There are a lot of things I could do with Dreamweaver that I'm not sure is possible with Frontpage.

What kind of work needs to be done exactly? New graphics, indentity? OR Just an HTML make over? Does the owner need a crash course in how to update his/her website?

If the answer is yes to any of the above please contact me at jonathan @ jonathanwallace.net

I am a Graphic Designer and Photographer who does freelance design for corporate identity, web sites, band pages, CD covers and other print work.

My skills include:

Excellent skills in Photoshop. Experienced with HTML, CSS, server side scripting. Some experience in Macromedia Flash and 3DS Max. Strong troubleshooting skills, familiar with cross-browser and cross-platform issues, comfortable with Mac or PC.

Yes, just like Gorecki was saying, it definitely looks like Dreamweaver was used.. I need to learn Dreamweaver better myself, as I learned to use Frontpage long ago, and haven't changed. There are a lot of things I could do with Dreamweaver that I'm not sure is possible with Frontpage.

Don't get me wrong Dreamweaver is a better tool than many, especially Frontpage but honestly what will provide you the most is to really learn HTML. At least Dreamweaver is pretty honest on the html it produces but you'll find when having to compensate for all flavors of browsers, platforms and versions, none of them do a fully correct job.

I use an overgrown text editor called EditPlus from editplus.com. It's shareware and WELL worth the price. I use it for every programming language I use (many..way..many). It's only an editor with syntax highlighting but does do some html base operations for you. :D

I totally agree Gorecki, you should learn HTML first, or at least have a great understanding of the language. What I was suggesting is that Dreamweaver looks to be better, especially since I'm learning Flash, and I want to incorporate it into the site. Dreamweaver is better suited for that, or at least it appears that way.

Well it certainly sounds to me like you know what you're after (and appropriately so) and I will now shut my pie hole! :D

Hi...sorry if I may burst any bubbles here...because it uses MM function calls..does not make it macromedia, dreamweaver or otherwise.

MM functions are purely Javascript code..

For example, in most of the headings on the website - take the news page..the following code:

function MM_reloadPage(init) {  //reloads the window if Nav4 resized<br>

if (init==true) with (navigator) {if ((appName=="Netscape")&amp;&amp;(parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {<br>

document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight; onresize=MM_reloadPage; }}<br>

else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!=document.MM_pgH) location.reload();<br>

Is simply used to stabalise a page..in some instances to stop it shaking on resize...

The site may have used Dreamweaver to design the graphic headers...but there is no way of any reference. The site is simply controlled via javascript referencing CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) templates to get the page layout.

It's down to simple html and java code....there are many editors free out there able to do edit this - one has been highlighted above - another is PSPad (www.pspad.com)...

In order to edit the content on that site, you will need ftp (or a cpanel) access to the source html files, the css files and image directories....

Just offereing assistance..

Hi...sorry if I may burst any bubbles here...because it uses MM function calls..does not make it macromedia, dreamweaver or otherwise.

MM functions are purely Javascript code..

Yep, I was only referring to the naming convention of MM_ That was the hint to what editor generated the javascript not that the javascript is proprietary to anyone, just the naming convention used was a hint to where it came from. :D

Good god, you've all lost me now :D

I was round the blokes house the other day and he said that he's managed to find someone. Funily enough he sorted it the same day that I did, even though we were talking about it a few weeks ago.

While I'm on the subject, I'll try to post a photo of his guitar room when I get back to the office. Like a wet dream. :D