New Pickplate

Julie

I recently put my own custom pickplate on my electric guitar, it is aluminum, and I was wondering if it could be causing any undesired sounds/noise, and/or feedback. If so, do you know if there is some kind of backing I could use underneath my pickplate so I could still keep the aluminum one.

I recently put my own custom pickplate on my electric guitar, it is aluminum, and I was wondering if it could be causing any undesired sounds/noise, and/or feedback. If so, do you know if there is some kind of backing I could use underneath my pickplate so I could still keep the aluminum one.

one of our electronics experts may come along and correct me but i don't see how your pickguard could be causing you any trouble. many strats, teles, ect. come with a metal film under the pickguard for shielding anyway. what kind of sounds/noise are you experiencing? if it's a lot of humming i'd first check all of your grounding wires for good connections.

:D

Well, the only person who can tell us if you've noticed any new noise since installing it is YOU. Aluminum has a nice way of shielding electronics, so I really don't see how it could induce noise into your system unless you've inadvertantly created some kind of ground loop when you put it all together.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e111/jul.../Picture068.jpg

I obviously worded my question wrong, but didn't realize it until after you guys replied. Yes, since installing the pickplate, I get mainly alot of feedback, and a low hum. I only get it though, when I tap anywhere on the pickplate, which is really mind-boggling. When I am playing I the feedback and/or hum goes away, but i can hear my pick on the strings, like it is metal to metal. Here are some picks of the guitar. Figured I might as well post a few with the help I had been getting for in the electronic department. So perhaps it is some kind of weird loop I created. Man, I am going to have to take apart all over again. lol.

YOUR PIC IS TOO BIG!!!!

Edited by Maiden69

Have you grounded the pickguard and strings (bridge)? You can't really solder to aluminium, but you could put an earth wire under it so it presses down at a screw to make a connection. Aluminium oxidizes and can react with copper and other metals. Perhaps sand the connection point and coat the wire end with solder to help with this a little...anyone else have thoughts...it could be a ground loop... pete

everything is grounded to the volume pot.

crappy pic, i will post better one here shortly.

Edited by Julie

Maybe it's not 100% aluminum, an alloy or something?

Anyway, seems to me that you've transformed the entire surface of the guitar into pickup, albeit not very powerful.

I had a similar problem with the metal pickguard I made for my tele...looked great, but it just became a giant pickup. And wasn't compatible with the P90 I wanted in there.

I didn't have feedback problems though --but it could be your pickguard isn't tight enough against the surface of the guitar and is vibrating more than it should be?

I just 'cured' the microphonic problem I'd been having with my Rocket --it turned out that the ground wire attached to the pickup was vibrating. I soldered new connections on there --this one was an 'ebay special' (i.e., the seller forgot to mention that he'd butchered the connections) --using coated wire and then electrical tape to hold everything in place.

Anyway, seems to me that you've transformed the entire surface of the guitar into pickup, albeit not very powerful.

This is why I was a little guarded in my comments...hence, "perhaps"...although it has been done before. Fender used to have a gold anodised aluminium scratchplate on some early strats...and Reverend amoungst some others have both the front and back of sheet aluminium. There have also been a few solid aluminium instruments that are supposed to sound great. Some that come to mind are made by PG member "metalcarver" which were amazing. I really like the idea of aluminium guitars as an alternative to wood and was working on some ideas for a while there. So evidently it has worked.

In theory, you are right about the "pickup" effect, however if it is earthed and no hot is present in it, it's signal should be shorted out...however ground loops are possible...needs a little more thought or experience perhaps.

Microphonic feedback is very possible if it is thin sheet and not adequately screwed down. Also, vibrations from the pickguard can be transfered to the pickup mountings and amplified that way, including handling and pick noise.

Maybe it's not 100% aluminum, an alloy or something?

hehehe...well aluminium is an alloy isn't it? There are various grades of it however (mixtures of its components). Interestingly, although it conducts electricity, the oxidisation will effect connections and it reacts with other metals and the air...also it is slightly "anti-magnetic" which is pretty rare. It is so slight, it is considered simply non-magnetic (in case anyone was getting ideas about this quality), but as pickups are magnetic, it does not effect their fields in the way that a steel scratchplate would.

I'd say there is a way to work with it...given that others have...and i'd like too... pete

ahh julie...i just spotted the pic...gee the guitar looks neat and there seems to be plenty of screws. If there is any vibration in it, some doublesided tape under the middle of it should be enough to hold it down if this is the problem...don't give up on it yet, such a nice job of cutting it out for the pickups etc...

Edited by psw

PETE, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

Let me add that the feedback has been completely "microphonic" I should of stated that from the get go. I keep saying to everyone, " it acts like a microphone", (duh, Julie) You just helped me out. I bet the plate isn't screwed down good enough. Check out my better pics, if you look closely the pickplate is hammered also. My screws aren't all the right sizes either. to be continued.......

g.jpg

THIS ONE IS TOO BIG TOO!~~~

Edited by Julie

Ahh...much better picks...interesting hammered effect. I'd say it is mostly due to the looseness in the thin pickguard...it would vibrate like a cymbal...hahaha (even with all those screws). It should still be earthed but you could put carpet tape on there to secure it down...

good luck...and thanks, I should rock more often, feels good...ta... pete

g2.jpg

AND HERE!!!!!! FIXED!!

Edited by Julie

g3.jpg

I was trying to give you an idea here on how thin the guitar is, compared to the one next to it.

AND HERE!!!!!! fixed !!!!!! :D

Edited by Julie

PETE, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

Hey, holdonaminnit...I thought I caught the pickguard not screwed down enough thing?

Eh-hem:

I didn't have feedback problems though --but it could be your pickguard isn't tight enough against the surface of the guitar and is vibrating more than it should be?

Okay, sure, I may have blown the aluminum alloy thing (funnily enough, I'm writing about an aluminum company, shows you how hard I pay attention to what I'm writing!), but give a guy credit where credit's due... :D

Okay, sure, I may have blown the aluminum alloy thing (funnily enough, I'm writing about an aluminum company, shows you how hard I pay attention to what I'm writing!), but give a guy credit where credit's due...

That's pretty funny...maybe it's different in translation... :D

Hey, holdonaminnit...I thought I caught the pickguard not screwed down enough thing?

Sure, very true...and afterall, it was a question about pickguards...personally I specialize in trying to create feedback...in the nicest possible way of course!

So this one...its all yours...

Now...thin guitars...very interesting...neat-o...I think that's up for anyone to comment on, terrific...outside runner for a future GOTM... B)

Thanks julie...couldn't shrink the pics a little to fit on my screen a little, it's 21" and looks larger than life... :Dpete

When I am playing I the feedback and/or hum goes away, but i can hear my pick on the strings, like it is metal to metal.

I have that on my strat but and i think its pretty normal if your using a thin pick.

as for mickguard :D , I am so sorry, I was not paying attention earlier and still thought it was psw replying, forgive me, You Rock, and You Shred. lol. Is that enough brown nosing? Just joking. Please forgive me. And pete sorry about the size of my pics, I will correct in the future. I forgot how frickin huge they are when I put them on my compute. My is screen is huge, so I don't keep in mind about everyone else's. :D

Edited by Julie

No need to apologise...I didn't disappear them by the way...that was some phantom mod working at the same time...I'm not one of the gods...hehehe....

Oh...and MickyG is in franch via Jersy so you may want to brown-nose in french for maximum effect... Like So: je suix en Rock Star, du swaure san Rock Star, we all are rock stars... Sartre, via du pigion translate du psw via le rolling stones :D <<< insert tricolor here (no, not the irish one from my local pub!)

My is screen is huge
...I suddenly feel so inadequate...I better turn up the sustainer.... :D

Nice one Julie...

Now back on topic...the thing guitar reminds me of the black machine guitars....here's a link to avoid google search embarrasment B)http://www.blackmachine.co.uk/...it's clever how you got the trem in there, they don't seem to have been able to do that... pete

:D yeah care to share how you did get a trem into such a thin body? is it modified in some way (ie block cut down or something?) or is it made so it 'just' fits with no extra hight in the rear cavity.

Robert

:D rear cavity and black machine B) someone's going to be disapointed to open up this thread when it comes up in THEIR google search!!

sustainer......next project.

as for the trem, it is only an illusion. I will post a few more pics to show you. The body is actually still quite thick their. You know, actually I think next project is another guitar, that is thin with the same amount of thickness all the way through and figuring out the trem thing.

I've made pickguards out of stainless steel but never faced the same problem. You say everything is hooked up to the star ground. That includes all pickups and well as pickguard, bridge etc.? If you are using metal springs for your pickup mounting then you have also grounded the pickups to the pickguard at those points. Those are ground loops because you have already grounded the pickups via their respective ground wires. You have to isolate your pickups and aluminum pickguard so there is only ONE ground coming from each and terminating at your volume pot. I use sections of surgical tubing for pickup mounting rather than metal springs. This keeps the metal chassis of the pickups away from the pickguard.

Edited by Southpa

Oh...and MickyG is in franch via Jersy so you may want to brown-nose in french for maximum effect... Like So: je suix en Rock Star, du swaure san Rock Star, we all are rock stars... Sartre, via du pigion translate du psw via le rolling stones :D <<< insert tricolor here (no, not the irish one from my local pub!)

Erm, don't you it's dangerous to drink and type at the same time? :D

g1.jpg

guitar1.jpg

d7f5518f.jpgHere is a pic of the back of the guitar, I still have to cut more out to get to my wiring easier, instead of removing the pickplate everytime.