My Recording

radrobgray

Ehh, gimmicks are gimmicks, people have to do some pretty strange stuff in an era where we're already numb to everything as it is.

Green Day wasn't a pop band and they sold da soul so hard the pitchfork's still wedged somewhere in the nether regions. :D

Really sad part is they opened for me years ago and the sucked! Then they went and got all rich and famous and crap, now their just suckin in the money. Brutal prostitution! :D

In other words, it's all just another form of eyeliner.

not necessarily, because tatoos arent for women and piercings were but have now become a unisex thing, maybe eyeliner is on its way to being acceptable for both male and female but right now i just thing it looks(pardon the expression) gay.

it was good, but like godin, i liked from 43 to 1.03 i think that was the best part, the other stuff, was a little repetitive, but you sir, have some mad chops, and i respect that a great deal.

Dont get me started on green day/good charlotte crap, i hear enough of them as well as simple plan through out the day that i am ready to rape and kill the next person that wants me to go to one of their concerts with them

Curtis

Sounds good to me Rob, if your into that kind of music. I used to love it, I used to play it, but music taste changes over the years. The only problem you'll have is being compared to Malmsteen, etc. simply because of the way you play. Don't take this the wrong way, but be yourself, not someone else. If nothing else put your own twist on things, be creative, don't just memorize licks from other players and play them back. Be a musical sponge, and get better in all aspects of playing, not just the technical side of it. You have that part pretty much down, now study song structures, and create melodies that are new and exciting. You see, it's not how fast you play, or how slow, a bad song is a bad song. I'm not saying your song is bad, but I know you can do much better than sounding just like someone else.

i have actually been working on phrasing and song writing because i suck at that. thats harder to do than to learn a new technique. im having alot of trouble with it for some reason. i think im going to get lessons so i actually have someone to critique me and help me work on just song writing skills. thanks for the advice.

i have actually been working on phrasing and song writing because i suck at that. thats harder to do than to learn a new technique. im having alot of trouble with it for some reason. i think im going to get lessons so i actually have someone to critique me and help me work on just song writing skills. thanks for the advice.

Rob, what do you feel is your short coming? Really! Some things will make us work harder than others, but what do YOU feel you are lacking? Song writing when the ball falls is up to the listener. What point do you feel your communication with the listener fall's short?

What do I hear? The same thing that others have fell short of, plastering harmonic, melodic minor play over and over again, it get's boring quickly?

What do you think?

Edited by Gorecki

Rob, what do you feel is your short coming? Really! Some things will make us work harder than others, but what do YOU feel you are lacking? Song writing when the ball falls is up to the listener. What point do you feel your communication with the listener fall's short?

what i think...i need to work on songwriting and phrasing, which is what i said.

i posted the link to see what the "general" guitar playing community would think. not just the shred heads, when i posted in a shred forum i didnt get one bad comment, so i posted here to see what the general consensus would be so i could see what other people thought.

What do I hear? The same thing that others have fell short of, plastering harmonic, melodic minor play over and over again, it get's boring quickly?

what exactly do you mean?

what i think...i need to work on songwriting and phrasing, which is what i said.

i posted the link to see what the "general" guitar playing community would think. not just the shred heads, when i posted in a shred forum i didnt get one bad comment, so i posted here to see what the general consensus would be so i could see what other people thought.

what exactly do you mean?

Okay, songwriting and phrasing. It sounds as though you have a good idea of what you're emulating but it's been done and been done more correctly. Regardless of that, you're lacking correct theory behind those changes. I've heard you play straight major over suggested dominants, minor scale like phrasing over major suggested chords, minor penta's is fine, but would turn what you're doing into basic blues, not your intention would be my guess, suggesting you need theory work. Just because you're not playing the 3rd doesn't mean the listener doesn't hear it! Harmonically you've already decided harmonic scope by the key signature you're playing inside. The ear expects it, especially a trained one.

The thing that is otherwise lacking in songwriting is the key number one required element that constitutes a song. Melody! Not just flailing over changes. Melody! Especially in the style you've chosen, melody has a higher requirement of technical correctness with correct embellishment. Listen to Bach, Mozart, Gorecki :D , you'll hear Melody!

If your intended listener likes what you're doing, at least you're getting that result. And when presenting to a "general" guitar crowd, don't expect to get "exprienced" responses.

Cool? :D

Okay, songwriting and phrasing. It sounds as though you have a good idea of what you're emulating but it's been done and been done more correctly. Regardless of that, you're lacking correct theory behind those changes. I've heard you play straight major over suggested dominants, minor scale like phrasing over major suggested chords, minor penta's is fine, but would turn what you're doing into basic blues, not your intention would be my guess, suggesting you need theory work. Just because you're not playing the 3rd doesn't mean the listener doesn't hear it! Harmonically you've already decided harmonic scope by the key signature you're playing inside. The ear expects it, especially a trained one.

well some of thsoe things i would consider Phrasing. to me phrasnig is note choice and how you play them. i know exactly what you talking bout, but i cannot apply it. i took AP music and passed the test w/ a 4 but the teacher taught the whole class relative to vocal and piano. i cant get my knowledge from the piano/vocal to guitar. this is why i beleive i need a guitar teacher. melody is a hard thing for me to write.

i was thinking maybe just mimic some vocal lines in pop music to get the hang of it, to see what theyre doing thats so catchy and nice. i guess im better at practicing than writing and thats what got me into this problem. i really like marty friedman and paul gilberts styles. but i do not want to be them. to me they are a great example of a melodic and technically good guitarist.

thanks for the help

Theres a few bends that I don't think match the key your playing in, but 2 of them stick out like a sore thumb to me. Theres one at 52 seconds, and one at 1:16. My reccomendation for that, is when you're bending high like that, try going one or two intervals higher in the scale than the note your playing on, and make that your target note. So when you bend you know where you want to end up with the bend.

I love the song, but like gorecki is saying, it does lack melody and with the exception of the break down at 44 seconds, its 1 dimentional.

Edited by silvertonessuckbutigotone

well some of thsoe things i would consider Phrasing. to me phrasnig is note choice and how you play them. i know exactly what you talking bout, but i cannot apply it. i took AP music and passed the test w/ a 4 but the teacher taught the whole class relative to vocal and piano. i cant get my knowledge from the piano/vocal to guitar. this is why i beleive i need a guitar teacher. melody is a hard thing for me to write.

i was thinking maybe just mimic some vocal lines in pop music to get the hang of it, to see what theyre doing thats so catchy and nice. i guess im better at practicing than writing and thats what got me into this problem. i really like marty friedman and paul gilberts styles. but i do not want to be them. to me they are a great example of a melodic and technically good guitarist.

thanks for the help

The most practical way of creating melody is to sing it. If you can't sing it, it's probably not a melody. Music doesn't care what the instrument is, only the notes that are expressed. The guys you mentioned are good technical players and do play the correct structure over their changes but ARE NOT the greatest examples of melody. Take things to the simplest level, Mary had a little lamb. Now what just went through your head? A melody. Twinkle twinkle little star.....again, what did you hear in your head?

Melody comes from the head, not the hands. It takes practice, and lots of it. A good simple start, play a major scale and sing along with that major scale. Now play twinkle, twinkle little star, and sing it while playing it. You don't have to sing like Jeff Tate! Just enough to find pitch.