How To Bind A Neck/headstock...?

Ok, so I've searched and searched on the net and PG's database and main site and can't find anything on how to do binding on a neck and headstock. Anyone know of some valuable resources online I could check out or anything?

I'm looking for the typical DIY poor-man's way/method...if there is one. I'll be doing it on a Jackson neck, so there are a couple of pretty sharp angles I have to wrap the binding around. Also, what kind of binding? Will the stuff from StewMac do ok? Or is there a better supplier online? Thanks in advance.

~006

StewMac sells thin binding for mandolin headstocks, you can use that or try to work with their regular larger binding. You need a routing tool to cut the channel, then glue in your binding (a lot of people use superglue) and scrape everything flush. Do some searching on the StewMac website and you'll figure it out.

If you're doing this to an existing neck, you'll need to remove the frets, install your binding, then re-fret.

On the headstock, the binding doesn't wrap around the sharp corners. You cut the ends at an angle (1/2 the angle of your corner) and glue them together to make a mitre joint, kinda like this:

/\

/\

/\

It is fiddly work, so do it only if you really want it, and be prepared to throw away plenty of mistakes.

If you're doing single ply binding (ie'single white, no laminations) you can use lap joints instead of mitres, which are a bit easier. Whichever you do, keep the joints very tight, and work with clean hands, or you'll get dirt in your gluelines, which looks awful.

DAMHIK...

Ok, what are lap joints? I know what mitres are, I used them for molding around the deck I built years ago. I'm not savvy on the terms associated with woodworking, I just know you can saw this piece and this piece, nail them together, and you have a house. :D

Thanks so far guys, btw. Also, is there a tutorial online with pictures, by any chance?

~006