My Neck Thru Guitar Project, Unique Design!

dude, matt. you spelled living wrong in your signature

I did not!! :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No exams till monday (and its an easy one) so I figured I'd have the evening and tomorrow morning off :D

phto03938ba.jpg

More experiments with wood dye :D

I'm liking this dye... this colour is called indian rosewood, so unsurprisingly its the same colour as the fretboard. These colours seem to go well together to me.

MORE:

th_PHTO0373.jpg th_PHTO0357.jpg th_PHTO0391.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/bent...ay/PHTO0390.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/bent...ay/PHTO0389.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/bent...ay/PHTO0380.jpg

See if you can spot my one (thankfully small) screw-up on the pickup routes

Groovy biscuit joints (they add 'character' B) )

th_PHTO0385.jpg th_PHTO0386.jpg th_PHTO0384.jpg

Another

nice wood grain:

th_PHTO0388.jpg th_PHTO0387.jpg th_PHTO0386.jpg http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/bent...th_PHTO0378.jpg

Cleaned up pickup routes:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/bent...th_PHTO0364.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/bent...th_PHTO0361.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/bent...th_PHTO0362.jpg

And my plan worked! (crappy photo)

I routed channels in the sides of the body wings before gluing up, so that when I routed for the pickups it would overlap the channels and give me a nice place to feed all the wires. :D

I'm happy so far

This is so much more fun than exam revision. B)

BTW, this is not finished

Still plenty to do including more routing, I've just done a bit of sanding and dying which I thought looked cool, and I've routed for the pickups. Still an good couple of months work left B)

All comments / opinions welcome

Edited by Ben

I'm liking this colour scheme more than the earlier, more redish one on Page 4, and I'm thinking of sticking with it.

The dyed centre laminate looks pretty cool too IMO.

I'd say age those pickup covers a bit, the white contrasts too much, in my opinion. Either that, or get black covers. There are already a few different contrasting colors in your project, from the woods, and that white just doesn't sit well.

Other than that, the guitar looks nice! Are the biscuit joints from the table?

I thought about using black pickup covers.

I'm going to wait until its finished and see what looks best. :D

I hadnt thought of aging them though... I'll give that some more thought.

The hardware will be black so black covers may look best.

The biscuit joints are from the table and I think they look pretty cool. (The nails were less cool though :D)

Also, is your slip up on the pickup routes on the bridge pickup, on the right screw recess?

Yep! template slipped :D

I'm not too bothered really, its not *that* glaringly obvious, except when viewed close up.

• 3 weeks later...

Its now fretted, sanded and I've begun to re-stain it.

I also shaped the neck properly, and I'm happy with the back contour. Feels comfy.

Fretting wasnt nearly as scary as I thought it would be...

I've leveled them, but they're still yet to be recrowned.

Pics tomorrow!

Ok... so I didnt take any pics

It was my 18th birthday though so I think I have a valid excuse B)

I've begun finishing the guitar with danish oil, so I'll get pics once its had its 3 coats (with 6 hours drying time between coats :D )

Its looking pretty good so far IMO.

Danish oil is so much more forgiving than lacquer

I had a little problem with it though... seems that Colron had the bright idea of using the same solvent in their wood dye as in their danish oil :D . And after pre-dying some scrap wood, I forgot to test it on scrap!

I did, however, test it in the tremolo cavity before I used it on the body and noticed that the dye was smearing slightly- so I used 2 separate cloths for the dyed and undyed areas.

Pics later!

(I'll try to honour that promise this time too)

Its been 6 hours since the first coat of danish oil and its still sticky :D

Thing is its only the dyed areas that are still sticky- the bare wood bits are dry.

Should I be worried? Could the dye and the danish oil be uncompatible?

Still just as sticky as ever :D

Says that it should be dry and recoatable in 6 hours on the can- its been nearly 10 hours.

I'm going to my mums for a few days now- so if its not dry when I get back I'll know something's wrong.

It seems pretty stupid for a company to have 2 products in the same line that are uncompatible with oneanother.

Ok, just 1 pic for now cos I only have about 3 mins to post this, but plenty more to come later (probably tomorrow)

Danish oil over dye was still sticky after a week so I gave it several really light dust coats of actrylic laquer, and I'm really pleased with the results.

Its still all nice and satin with open pores etc, but its no longer sticky

Neck still feels nice too

th_PHTO0475.jpgth_PHTO0474.jpgth_PHTO0472.jpgth_PHTO0464.jpg

I lied- heres 4 photos

(you have no idea how long i spent sanding it to get it that smooth btw :D)

sorry that sounds really convoluted- i'm in a hurry

Levelled and re-crowned all the frets today...

no point in taking any pics really because theres really not that much to see

turned out well- as far as I can tell it looks to all be perfectly flat. :D

I need to come up with a headstock logo before tomorrow...

I'll have to get designing

Danish oil over dye was still sticky after a week so I gave it several really light dust coats of actrylic laquer, and I'm really pleased with the results.

I'm wondering how you were able to get that too work? In theory, the acrylic isn't going to bind at all with the oil --I'd have thought it would come off really quickly.

I don't have any experience with Danish oil, but if I remember right, it's not supposed to become totally hard and dry.

Anyway, I'll have a look through the Understanding Wood Finishing book when I can get a chance, maybe that will explain what's going on.

Seems to me though that you might as well start planning on stripping the guitar back and starting again.. :D

Seems to me though that you might as well start planning on stripping the guitar back and starting again.. :D

God I hope not!

I've had all the sanding I can take! B)

Not the end of the world if thats the case, but a major PITA!

Seems perfectly hard to me though, and I cant pick any of it off with my fingernail :D

I don't have any experience with Danish oil, but if I remember right, it's not supposed to become totally hard and dry.

Maybe you dont remember right :D

I thought it did become hard and dry...

Please do tell me what the book says,

Thanks

BTW- Its too late for me to go out to the garage and check, but I *think* I recall it saying on the danish oil can that it could be used as an undercoat for lacquer...

Edited by Ben

BTW- Its too late for me to go out to the garage and check, but I *think* I recall it saying on the danish oil can that it could be used as an undercoat for lacquer...

I get the feeling that every brand of 'Danish Oil' has its own formula --one has nothing to do with the other. So it's certainly possible that the one you're using is compatible with the acrylic lacquer.

Sorry, don't mean to alarm you...if it's working, then it ain't broken, right? :D

I get the feeling that every brand of 'Danish Oil' has its own formula --one has nothing to do with the other. So it's certainly possible that the one you're using is compatible with the acrylic lacquer.

Sorry, don't mean to alarm you...if it's working, then it ain't broken, right? :D

Very cool guitar. I can already see in this hobbie like any other iv been into. comming up with a orginal idea will automaticaly be argued someoen has done it before. So, ill just come up with something i like for my first build and let people tell me im un orginal i guess. lots of learning to do i see. keep up the good work. :D

chris.

Sorry, don't mean to alarm you...if it's working, then it ain't broken, right? wink.gif

I'd say age those pickup covers a bit, the white contrasts too much, in my opinion. Either that, or get black covers. There are already a few different contrasting colors in your project, from the woods, and that white just doesn't sit well.

I'll second Matt's opinion also. Make a cup of tea (no milk, no sugar thanks), dunk your pickups rings and forget about it for a while.

The can says:

"Colron Danish Oil is a special blend of resins and pure tung oil, which combine to provide a hard, durable, water resistant finish"

...[then it goes on for a while about how nice it looks]...

"It can be used as a primer, or as a finish for wood. Colron Danish Oil is easy to maintain and can be used indoors or outdoors"

it takes 6 hours to cure according to the can

Seems the phrase "Danish Oil" can mean just about anything :D

And I've been old enough to drink for 10 days :D

I'll second Matt's opinion also. Make a cup of tea (no milk, no sugar thanks), dunk your pickups rings and forget about it for a while.