Panda Inlay

Thought I'd share this with ya'll. My two previous inlays turned out pretty well (the mountain: multi-pieced but simple shapes, and the mustang: single pieced but complex shaped) so I thought I'd knock it up a level and do a multi-pieced complex shaped inlay... the idea took the form of a panda. He's mother of pearl, black and white recon stone, and imperial jade. This is a picture of him stationed on his future wooded home getting ready to be scribed. I'll put up a picture of him when he's fully finished. PS: Yes, I know, the Limba is a light wood so any routing mistakes will show up more than on a darker wood, however I couldn't resist.... the chinese feel of the panda just looks SO good on the straw-ish looking grain pattern of this limba piece!! And I'll use some dust and glue to help fill any mistake instead of jsut superglue this time round.

LimbaPanda.jpg

If ya'll wanna see the mountain and the mustang I was talking about, these are them:

Mountain

Pearl Mustang

Chris

And I'll use some dust and glue to help fill any mistake instead of jsut superglue this time round.

Nice work!

You are probably already aware - but the glue (if it's CA) will turn the dust darker, so I'd experiment on some scrap before I used it. I tested the dust trick on some brazilian r/w and it was more hassle and didn't look any better than just using CA to fill the gaps. If you keep the gaps small it looks fine.

Mike

I was gunna use the good old fashioned titebond and dust method. Bust so that I'd still be able to use CA to hold it down... this was my plan....

After I route the cavity, i drill a hole in the center of the cavity all the way through the wood ( not anything big) and then another set of small holes in each corner. This way, i could put the inlay in the cavity, fill any gaps with titebond/dust mixture and let it dry. Then i could use a small stick from the back to poke the inlay back outta the cavity once it's all dried up. Then i merely plug those holes with some titebond, fill the cavity with CA and drop the bad boy back in. That way, i get to use filler to fix the mistakes... but I still have the intense holding power of CA... and since it'll be a truss rod cover or something, maybe even jsut a piece of wood with an inlay in it lol, I don't care about the hole marks on the back :D

Chris

And I present to the the sexiest panda of the inlay world!

panda.jpg

Not everything went exactly as planned... the part between his legs and the green branch a tried filling with the wood/glue mixture and it didn't turn out so good, next time I'll just have to beef up and just inlay a piece of limba between his legs so it matches, oh, I think other than that it turned out really well especially for being on such a light piece of wood.

Chris

You know Chris you can still fix the spot between the leg. Just rerouted that area. cut a piece to fit the hole. Make sure the grain lines up with the rest of the board and now one would ever be able to tell.

Yeah, i actually think I'm gunna do that. It had accured to me before,a nd it's starting to really bug me... but we'll see, this isn't going on any instrument, i just did it for the sake of practise, learning, etc. so I'm in no rush.

Thanks everyone,

Chris

Nice job Chris- they get easier until you get good at it, then they get hard again! I don't know why..

Good luck with your frogs!

Craig Lavin

From across the interenet live!