Trading Acrylic Templates For Yours

sumphead

OK here's the deal. Since I am an acrylic fabricator I have the medium but no starting point. I am wanting to reduce the margin of error as much as possible (acrylic is not a forgiving medium). So if interested I would like you to send me your templates in mdf, ply, masonite, or anything that can be flush trimmed so I can copy it and I will also make you a copy in cell cast acrylic and send it back to you. Sort of a win-win for just the cost on the one-way shipping. I'll pay to send both the original and acrylic copy back.

These templates will be made from cell cast acrylic (hard resin poured acrylic) this stuff is HARD and does not melt or scratch very easily. Not to be confused with extruded acrylic from Lowes or HD. I make big aquariums out of this stuff. I will use larger cut-off from my other acrylic projects so I may even use up to 1/2" material (no more bearing skip).

At the moment I am looking for tele and smaller LP syles, but I can accomodate almost anything. Thoughts.

R-

Great it sounds like a good start. Duff would you want the explorer back in acrylic or one of the others? Skats couls send the PRS and get the explorer in return. And AlGee I would love both the LP and the tele. Would you want both back in acrylic or would you like the PRS or Explorer? Of course I'll send all the originals back too.

Heck I can even offer black acrylic as an option (though I think seeing the centerline would be one the biggest benefits). Let me know guys and I'll PM the address.

Ronnie

Hey D, I've given a lot of thought to it and perhaps after my current projects I might. The biggest issue with that at the moment is that I only stock 1" acrylic. Since I buy wholesale I would have to buy an enitre sheet of 1.75 and that runs up to $1500 per sheet. I could solvent bond two sheets together, but a bond that large may alter the caritly a little. I will play with it from time to time though and gauge results.

As for the temps I think we are almost there. I have a positve response from Duff and Skatz (PMS sent). Pm sent to algee as well.

R-

Hey Rob thanks for jumping on board. It seems like most everyone wants something else in exchange for the original which is a great plan as long as it works out ok with getting the originals from eveyone. Let me work through these and/or use you as a standby if someone doesn't get them sent out. I would definately love to have a strat on hand.

R-

Hey D, I've given a lot of thought to it and perhaps after my current projects I might. The biggest issue with that at the moment is that I only stock 1" acrylic. Since I buy wholesale I would have to buy an enitre sheet of 1.75 and that runs up to $1500 per sheet. I could solvent bond two sheets together, but a bond that large may alter the caritly a little. I will play with it from time to time though and gauge results.

As for the temps I think we are almost there. I have a positve response from Duff and Skatz (PMS sent). Pm sent to algee as well.

R-

Why not take the stock that you have and do some sort of industrial themed thing and bolt two layers together, maybe with some sort of material... or diamond plate aluminum or something.

Have you thought about using an existing body as the guide for shaping your templates?

You could pick up beater guitars with the shapes you want.

I'd join in on this, but I'm in France, shipping things might be a bit too expensive --but in general, it'd be cool to organize some kind of template exchange program!

Primal that is a pretty awesome idea. I'll kick it around...

Yeah Mick, I have a few different bodies, but the exchange program just makes more sense for everyone involved. I am excited and can't wait for the acrylic to start flyin' Oooo Oooo that smell...

R-