Fretboard Finish

Im having problems in the finish of my fretboard. Its very dry and grainy and isnt smooth and easy to use like my squier strat. how can i overcome this problem still keeping the original look?

ok,i'd like to throw down a similer problem

on my bass,its a micheal tobias 5 string

and the neck woods are bubinga,wenge,maple,wenge,bubinga

i'm not sure what the finish is,but on my guitar,its a satin finish,and it feels smoother than what my tobias neck started of like

the problem is mt neck is really ''dry'' and its sticks when i slide :D

any soloutions,i have a dunlop lemon oil conditioner for open grained fingerboards...should i give a quick wipe on the neck with that?

or will this involve a fine sand down and a tung oil finish (because the soft grain had sort of ''shrunk'' and the hard grain stands out)

thank you :D

it is rosewood and i think its just raw. it doesnt seem to reflect light like my other necks. i want it to be smooth and have a finish that wont scratch.

You should not apply a 'finish' to rosewood. It should not need it. You can clean it with a very mild abrasive like wire wool 0000 gauge but only in the longitudinal direction of the neck, not across the grain, or buff it up with some proper lemon oil fretboard conditioner, not the bogus naphtha stuff with lemon scent added (Naphtha is basically lighter fluid, and a good degreaser) it sounds like your board needs a little oil back in it.

You should not apply a 'finish' to rosewood. It should not need it. You can clean it with a very mild abrasive like wire wool 0000 gauge but only in the longitudinal direction of the neck, not across the grain, or buff it up with some proper lemon oil fretboard conditioner, not the bogus naphtha stuff with lemon scent added (Naphtha is basically lighter fluid, and a good degreaser) it sounds like your board needs a little oil back in it.

I dont think it had any oil in it to start with :D

thanks al,

my granpa has some simaler stuff at his work shop,hope it works cause its doing my head in lol

you can actually here the dry squeeks being picked up through the amp,makes people flinch

obviously not good for recording lol

it feels cardboard when i play but i will oil it with fretboard conditioner.

is there fretboard shampoo? (i just couldnt help myself with the lame joke)