New Bass Project #3

Scarf joint, headstock and and pickup covers are all looking great!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D!!!HOLY CRAP MAN!!! B)

I want that neck, this is one cool bass

!!METAL MATT!! :D

The scarf joint looks amazing. What veneers did you use? What thickness? Get us a shot of the fingerboard!

The venners are maple and walnut im not sure of the thickness They came from rockler.com and they dont give very good specs. I would say about .030 of an inch maybe a little less. Heres the fingerboard. Its bare bones, cocobolo with no inlay, but I installed fiberoptic side markers. It will polish out to look like the piece next to it. Ill post pics more once completed

bass3057.jpg

Edited by scottyd

I shaped the body some more today and got all the routing done on the front. Frets are leveled and crowned too. (plays GREAT) I also started grain filling the paduak and routing the rear control cavity. Im hoping to finish it this weekend. Dont lack much just minor sanding and then spraying.

bass3081.jpg

Edited by scottyd

Got the control cavity done and made a cocobolo cover for it. If it looks larger than normal its because its going to have 2 nine volts and my fiberoptic setup under it along with an active EQ. Also got the tummy cut just about where i want it maybe a little deeper?

bass3083.jpg

:D:DB):DB)

....I think that sums it up nicely.

Thanks for all the nice comments, :D I just put another coat on, this will be coat number 3 and the curl in the maple and redwood is poppin out like crazy! the redwood is soaking up the poly though so I see this being a 2 stage affair.

Still alot of work to do. I Buffed it out today, got all the hardware put on, a temporary nut and strung it up. I ran out of steam so ill have to wire up the pups and led for the fibers later. I also need to oil the fingerboard and buff a little more, make a truss cover, ect, heres a pic of what i got so far.

bass3103.jpg