New Bass Project #3

Well Im waiting on one more wood package and then the build officially begins. I have the neck blank made and trued, Here the specs:

Four string Fretted

Headless (Status tuners and neck cap)

Active Soapbars, Active EQ (brand undetermined yet but wood Covers :D

9 Laminate neck purpleheart, paduak maple venneers

7 Laminate body, flamed maple, paduak, Flamed Redwood (Top), maple and walnut venneers

Lmi 2 way Truss

Cocobolo Fret board, and the biggest jumbo frets i can find!

Fiber Optic side markers

possibly some inlay work?

Being my first build with figured woods so im pretty stoked, the top is amazing im still waiting on the maple. Once i get all the packages ill post more pics

Here is a rough, very rough :D drawing for the design of this bass, not sure how its going to come out, but it will be similar to the pic, give or take, ive changed my wood choices since that was drawn.

bass2.jpg

Edited by scottyd

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rest came in right after my first post!! Anywho heres the neck wood

purple heart and african paduak with maple veneers

Picture003.jpg

I glued the neck up and squared it off on the table saw last week, it just needs minor planing mostly to clean off the blade burns and its good to go.

Neck

Heres the body core, some curly maple.

Body Core

Heres all the wood for the Body african paduak for the bottom, maple core, and walnut and maple venneers

Body wood

Heres the Curly red wood top

Redwood Top

Edited by scottyd

• 2 weeks later...

I worked on it a little today, here is the final body shape,

bass3001.jpg

I got the wings jointed and cut out the inside horns, Im getting it ready to glue to the neck Im thinking of going with a headstock instead of headless to save dough. What do you guys think? If i do ill scaf joint some of the flamed maple i got left over and make a flamed redwood top plate for it.

Looking good so far!

I like the design and the neck laminates very much.

Well, considering the facts that you want something, compact, light, and(I assume) sort of metal looking, how about something along the lines of this pointy tuning fork headstock. It kind of looks like what parkers would have if they were 3x3 instead of straight 6's, in my mind.

bass2.jpg

peace,

russ

I got the top glued down, and i started carving it today. I need some more sanding drums to finish shaping the inside horns and such. Im happy with how the veneers came out. Im going to route my pickup holes before i carve any more. Im wanting the carve to go to at least the pickup/bridge area. But we'll see how that all works out.

bass3013.jpg

The veneers

Another view showing how much work i have left! :D

That looks very nice. The bottom half kinda has that Alembic vibe going on. Great choices for wood!

Yeah :D I really like the Alembics, so thats a compliment. I do admit that they had alot to do with my bottom horn design but I honestly did those more or less for a recess for the headless setup i was going to use. If not for that I would have just used a standard shape.

Its looking great!

I never read your first post propperly so I thought the flamed maple was going to be the top.. In which case I prefered the padauak back... but now I realise your putting that amazing redwood top on it and it looks fantastic.

The veneer lines look really classy.

Its looking great!

I never read your first post propperly so I thought the flamed maple was going to be the top.. In which case I prefered the padauak back... but now I realise your putting that amazing redwood top on it and it looks fantastic.

The veneer lines look really classy.

Thanks, Im thinking i like the paduak so much that my next project will have that for a top. The flamed redwood super easy to work, but it doesnt have the hardness that most figured woods have. Ill go with a urethane finish to harden it up

• 4 weeks later...

Ive gotten alot done. cocobolo boards on and fretted, I ran out of dough so i decided to go with a headstock, I scarf jointed a piece of curly maple on the neck with some venners and capped it with some more flamed redwood and heres what i got. Still a little rough around the edges, but getting there

bass3047.jpg

looking good scotty.

i'm a bit dissapointed you decided against going headless, i thought the body style was really suited to it, but hey, it will turn out great no matter what.

cheers

darren

heres the back showing the scarf better, I started the volute too. All in all I think its turning out allright even though it was completly unplanned....its unique to say the least :D

bass3054.jpg

looking good scotty.

i'm a bit dissapointed you decided against going headless, i thought the body style was really suited to it, but hey, it will turn out great no matter what.

cheers

darren

Yeah i know, I'll do it eventually using this design. Headless hardware is so high. I need a mill so i can make my own!