What Type Of Paint For Electric Guitar Body?

If you go to an automotive supply shop (like halfords if you live in the UK), then the laquer they sell for cars comes in a big variety of colours and works well.

I guess you didn't catch the "be more specific" recomendations in your last two posts. Let me point you in the right direction: you tell us what your budget is, whether or not you have an air compressor and spray gun etc, what kind of finish you want(ie metal flake, solid color, transparent, etc), and then ask your question again. We really would love to help you, but as mickguard answered in your other post, we can't help you until you first help yourself(by being much more specific and doing just a wee bit of research).

I spray with a $30 economy jam gun and have always been quite satisfied with the results. You just have to tweak it. Although I certainly wouldn't mind owning a sata.

luke:

Southpa is right on the money. Laquer is going to be your cheapest bet here if you don't want to use spray cans(you can get laquer in spray cans as well, among other things). Go over to stewmac.com. They sell laquer and pigments for mixing with the laquer to spray solid colored finishes. An airbrush would be usefull for doing things like bursts and some detailed painting, but it's going to take you a long time to build up enough laquer on a guitar with an airbrush to allow you to wetsand.

peace,

russ

Hey PunkRockerLuke

I noticed you are from muscatine, I used to live in Nichols and went to high school in West Liberty for a year, just wondering how everyone survived the tornadoes.

On the topic at hand, a good quality auto spray paint such as duplicolor would be good for a guitar. As a million other posts on this forum suggest, there are all types of ways to apply it. You should search all of the other posts to see how to prepare your wood and how to apply the paint properly. You can have the best most expensive paint in the world, but if you don't prepare the wood right, the guitar will look horrible. I and many others on this forum know this from first hand experience. So, for a low tech, cheap (by cheap I mean you don't have to buy spray equipment, the paint will still cost you a few bucks a can) solution, go to an auto store such as Auto Zone or O'Reillys (I think Wal-Mart even sells it) and buy some quality lacquer paint. It works great for guitars and is probably the most forgiving. The only drawback it that it takes forever to cure. :D

Or you can go to www.reranch.com, as they have plenty of solid colors to choose from that are a pleasure to work with. Go to the forum there at www.reranch.com/reranch and people will tell you what quality reranch provides.

Stains + nitro lacquer for see-thru colours, lol

Car paints such as Auto Air or air brush paints such as createx (the make the auto-airs aswell), and lacquer for solids (an acrylic lacquer is probably the best to go on these, though if heard of people using DEFT nitro, which probably meand you could use behlen nitro). Though ideally you'll want to apply a polyurathene coat for solids because its more durable, in the long run...

Auto air and createx are cheap but good paints...

Thats my random input into the forum, for today.

I'll second the reranch option. If you don't have proper spray gear, reranch has by far the best rattle can paint in existence.

George

airbrush isn't gonna get you where you need to be. They are fine for doing smaller work, but a guitar requires more coverage than an airbrush can provide. Get yourself a decent jam gun, and you should be good to go.

I don't know ,I have an airbrush and you would be surprised the work I can get done with my paasche vl2 .. they sell larger tips and on the inside of the gun there is a cone that goes around the needle they sell wider one's that will allow more paint the flow throught the airbrush. I know they say that you won't get a good finish with it but I can't complain. the coverage is pretty good!.. but i haven't cleared any of them yet still working on that. if someone knows other wise please correct me on this

Venom