Where Do You Get Your Luthier Supplies?

weaponepsilon

Where do you get your parts and such for building your projects?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey all, I've seen a lot of people who do a TON of work on this site and was wondering where everyone gets their parts, woods, tools, and other staples of our shared disorder. While woods can come from any number of sources, the more crucial supplies usually all come from the same place. Namely if you can score a sweet deal somewhere, help out and share the wealth!

Personally, I can't think of any others but if something isnt up there, just say it here. Mind you, obviously this isnt all inclusive.

Edited by weaponepsilon

Even if you said 'most of your supplies', I'd need checkboxes. I order fairly regularly from StewMac and LMI (maybe a little more from StewMac), recently liking Warmoth's selection and prices more and more. eBay from time to time as well, and I've never ordered anything from Allparts, who seem to be idiotically expensive unless you've got a dealer's discount.

I've ordered from all of them. It just depends on who has what and what they want for it. I've ordered some odds and ends from allparts before, but they have always struck me as oddly expensive. At the moment, I've probably sent the most $$$ stewmac's way, but as I find more suppliers and browse more inventories, I buy less and less from stewmac.

I have gotten tools from all of the above.. Stew Mac, LMI, Allied, Ebay, Grizzly, and have built my own, etc. etc. But I guess I'll just answer with where I bought most of my tools, which is Stew Mac. You got me wondering though just how much money I've spend on tools with just Stew Mac.. umm. let me see..

#5054 Offset Diamond File $94.50

#4578 Fret Leveler (16") $40.87

#4148 220 grit Stikit Sandpaper $48.95

#0405 9-1/2" Radius Block $15.35

#0417 12" Radius Block $15.35

#0418 16" Radius Block $15.35

#1649 Fret Tang Nippers $41.29

#0619 Fret Cutter $26.36

#1826 Dressing Stick Kit $8.95

#4479 Neck Support $10.44

#5745 Adjustable Fret Saw $28.64

#3850 18" Straightedge $44.40

#0620 String Action Guage $18.95

#5151 3/64" Inlay Bit $17.95

*(.010" - .056")

width Nut Slotting Files $153.00

*two double edged

Nut Slotting Files $45.90

#0673 String Spacing Ruler $20.95

#1811 Feeler Guage Set $21.95

#3598 Guaged Saw (.020") $8.22

#5663 2"x3" Robo-Sander $24.90

#4611 Pearl Cutting Saw $16.60

#5262 Mini Air pump $9.95

#4365 Fret Press Caul Set $46.47

#4894 6" Steel Ruler $10.90

#5243 Pickguard Bevel Cutter $23.88

#1094 Humbucker template $5.55

Total so far ------------------------- $815.62

That's just on what I call tools and I probably missed a whole lot even then. I saved a lot of money by building some tools myself. The neck jig I made saved me $355.00. Bought and modified an arbor press which saved me $59.94. Etc. etc.

Now don't even get me started on how much I have spent on books, videos, supplies, etc. from Stew Mac. I would start to cry.. :D

lol

Your pole is missing an option :D . All of they above/ or all of the above and a few others :D . Maybe you could say "most" of your supplies.

Peace,Rich

Hmm, I thought you could vote more than once...my "poll" was put together very late in the morning, my apologies.

Or it should be ' what's your favorite supplier'. For best service, StewMac would win. Try getting Allparts to answer a technical question the way StewMac will. :D

I'm not *always* happy with my dealings with StewMac, but they've been pretty good. They do need a little kick in the butt with product quality and design on some things. Let them know when you have a valid comment about a product of theirs. Apparently, they really want to know.

For prices, StewMac is not that great. I find it especially hard to buy some tools from them, when I see the price has gone up $5.00 in just the past year.

Harbor Freight has the best prices if they have something you want, but they pull some real crap on internet orders. They seem to like to put stuff in the catalog to get you to place an order, then they don't have the item anymore, a few days later, after you've just made your order . :D

"hardware store' should have been an option.

Heck, I've found enough hardwood, MDF, plexi-glas and tools in curbside trash to fill the back of a pickup truck. Now THAT'S my favorite source !