What size should my neck pocket be?

I've seen it mentioned that pine is not OK for a guitar body but I have only pine and some oak and money is short so could I use pine for a solidbody?

And I just got an S101 neck my Dad got me off of Ebay and what size(length) should the neck pocket be?? Should it be the same length as the heel of the S101 neck??

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

Plenty of people have use pine. You cant use home depot pine though. People have used sugar pine before, but for less you could get some poplar at home depot and it would be fine and easier to finish.

Thank you... that's what I was hoping to hear because I got the body cut out today but it is a few incraments off from being 1 3/4" thick so could I use plywood for the bottom? Does it even matter if the thickness is a few incraments off from being 1 3/4" thick??

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

Anybody know what size(length) should the neck pocket be on an S101?? Should it be the same length as the heel of the S101 neck??

The length of the neck pocket should be approximately the same length as the flat portion of the bottom of the heel, yes. But that's not really important - the important measurement is the distance from the nut on the neck to the twelfth fret on the neck, and then the 12th fret on the neck to where you put the bridge on the body. These two dimensions should be equal, which makes the scale length of the guitar. As long as you join the neck to the body so that it looks clean and you can place the bridge that far back on the body to match the distance between the nut and the 12th fret, you'll be alright.

Though might I recommend, that a better investment than buying necks from random model guitars and trying to build with them, would be to by Melvin Hiscock's Build Your Own Electric Guitar, which covers these points and more.

Please don't post topic titles like 'help' or 'questions' - these are totally unhelpful in telling users what the topic will be about, and many people will ignore them. Please make the title descriptive ie: Can I use pine for a body? Can I use a thin body?

In addition, please SEARCH FIRST! There have been countless threads on the suitablility of pine for guitar bodies and the use of bodies thinner than standard Fender 1.75". A quick search would have answered you questions without the need to create a new thread.

Images must be hosted be hosted by you, many users find Photobucket are good free image host.

To post an image, simply click the 'Tree' icon above the post composition box, and paste the URL of your image into the box which pops up. Alternatively, you can type it: {img}the url here {/img} Use square brackets not the ones I've used in this example.

Eg:

{img}http://home.asparagine.net/ant/bloguploads/thumb-64_top_closeup.jpg{/img}

with the correct kind of brackets:

thumb-64_top_closeup.jpg

Be sure and read the image posting rules in the announcements section before you post any images.