Best/favorite Truss Rod

What is the best truss rod?

Considering ease of use, durability and quietness.

The only ones I've seen are from Stew-Mac or Luthier's Mercantile.

With so many to choose from, one-way, two-way, what do you find is the favorite?

Mike

It depends,

Some old school guys will swear by a single, others will tell you a double, but I like the two ways, they seem to be much more adjustable and you can tweak then more than a single, I did hear something on hear about a guy who got a single to work like a double by routing the truss rod slot some special way? Can somebody confirm this or deny it?

It also has to do with the type of neck you are making, different woods react differently. Also neck-thru versus bold on or set are different too.

Could you get us some more info?

Edited by Firefox2551

More than type, I was aking about brands and sellers.

In other words, what would you put in your top-of-the-line, once-in-a -lifetime, made by the sweat-of-your-brow guitar?

The one you "take with you to the grave" guitar.

In other words, what would you put in your top-of-the-line, once-in-a -lifetime, made by the sweat-of-your-brow guitar?

One guitar? You think you can make just one?

Maybe you're over-analyzing here-- there's no magic in a truss rod, they're just a couple of pieces of steel welded together.

I bought a couple off an ebay seller (fretdoctor? I'll have to check). They're two-way but they're slimmer than the StewMac and LMI rods --I'm making a really narrow neck, so that should help. The truss rod fits in a 6mm x 9 mm channel. But he doesn't seem to have them all the time.

Plus they're blue. :D

I have only used StewMac up to now and have been totally satisfied whit those. I have a LMII laying around for my next build and it looks as solid as the StewMac, so I will be totally confident to use that one as well. As Mickguard suggests most trussrods probably work as good. I suggest that you simply buy one at the same place as all the rest of your supplies to get lower shipping costs

Most all will do; gotoh, LMI, StewMac, whatever.

I like the StewMac hotrods, but if I ever wanted to make slimmer necks, I'd probably get one from Allied or Rockinger (Germany..closer), as they can get away with a shallower channel (9mm deep, 6mm wide).

All my builds to date have used HotRod truss rods, and I've got a sizeable stack for the next 8 or so, so no new truss rod buying for a while...

I like Martin style u-channel rods, and have used the ones sold by Stew Mac and craftsupplies. They work, they don't rattle, and thus far I've never needed to add relief to a neck, so I'm happy with the single action adjustment.

As others have stated, I have no particular prefference, I just use what has worked for me in the past.

OK...Which one don't buzz and don't break on you?

Any horror stories with any of the best known ones?

All I want is for the truss rod not to fail once it's in.

There are cheap ones, I know, so I'm just going by the experiences of the masses.

So everyone has had success with the Stew-Mac and LMI ones? OK, I feel better.

Thank you gentlemen and ladies!

Mike