Le Tonkinois ---tung Oil Varnish

Keep the experiments coming, if you don't mind Mick.

Ditto, Mick!

BTW - I just got an email notice from the local library that they have a copy of "Understanding Wood Finishes" on hold for me. I'll let you know if I find anything relevant.

Oh, it's in there allright. Along with everything else one needs to know and understand about finishes. I can't understand why Mickster would think it wouldn't be in there, unless he's falling for the hype on the can and thinks it's something radically new and different, which it is not. :D

Waviness in the surface is about getting a perfectly FLAT surface with level sanding with a block. Buffing won't make it go away.

In fact, buffing will accentuate your base prep flaws quite nicely. :D

And, depending on the product and it's properties, when you flat-sand, you can run into witness lines, if you're using a finish that doesn't melt into the pre-existing coats. B)

+1 Witness lines are the pits, and they don't go away, no matter how much you buff. :D

+2 For nitro lacquer - no witness line issues. :D

• 3 weeks later...

All right then... I received and read "Understanding Wood Finishing" -- a big thanks to Thelonious Drak to turning me onto this (despite my kickin' and fussin' about it), I've got a much better understanding about what I'm working with now.

Definitely recommended reading.

I also got a hold of the book and read it. Drak thank you for the recommendation. The book really takes the "voodoo" out of finishing. I feel so much more comfortable with this now that I've read this.

Does anyone know if you can purchase this stuff in the states. I have been looking for a lacquer or varnish that I can use. I like the Idea of the non-toxic.. is true oil the american version of this or is this an entire different ententity all together. And I found that book at the library.

Thanks

Venom

There is Tried and True Varnish oil.It's completely non toxic and simple to apply.

I like the Lee Valley/Southerland Wells polymerized tung oil more but that isn't non toxic.

Im no finish expert but my 3 tung oil guitars are much more durable than my 2 linseed based finish guitars.

As far as dents go,I hear they effect your picking and the sound of your amp. :D

As far as dents go,I hear they effect your picking and the sound of your amp.

Guitars like it when you talk purty to them too - they play and sound better.

• 1 month later...

Hey Mick - Thought you might be interested in this stuff since it seems to be very similar to the product you've been working with - Waterlox Marine Finish. These guys make a variety of tung oil based finishes and my understanding (according to the woodworking magazine I was just flipping through at the newstand) is that what makes Waterlox products more protective than Danish oil is the added resin in its content. They were stating this for even the non-marine Waterlox products. The additional resin makes these more water resistant. Check out the rest of their product line which includes products with various degrees of sheen.