Ibanez John Petrucci Wiring

Jon Bell

I was just watching the section of John Petrucci's Rock Disclipine videowhere he discusses his gear. When demonstrating his twin humbucker guitars he showed that using a three way switch positions 1 and 3 gave the bridge and neck pickips on there own respectively.

In position two the inner coil of each of his humbuckers was selected. This was wired so that it gave the same sound as Strat positions 2 and 4, including the hum cancelling. I know that on a strat these positions are wired in parrellel but was wondering how you did the same with humbuckers. Does it require a special switch or will a standard Les Paul type work ok? Does it require specially reverse wound humbuckers or wil any coil-tappable ones work?

Thanks,

Jon

• 4 months later...

with creative wiring it can be done on a three posistion strat style switch

with creative wiring it can be done on a three posistion strat style switch

You mean a 5 position switch, right? I'd be interested in seeing how that could be done. DiMarzio sez:

A standard 5-way switch does not have the capability to get these combinations.

Anyway, here's their instructions for this setup:

Two Humbuckers with Multipole 5-way Switch

no i meant a three way.. the old strat kind that had neck middle bridge only.. what you do is most pickups would have the top coil as the output, you basically have to find out which coil goes where, ie lets say the inner coil on the bridge is the north coil and the inner on the neck is the south coil.. instead of using both north coils or both south coils depending on which manufactur setup you have you use the bridge norh coil as your hot coil going to the switch.. and the south coil from the neck as your hot coil.. the other side of the switch when neck is selected you have the bridge coil cut and when bridge is selected you have neck coil cut. so when you select both you have both inner coils sleected works better with a on on on switch double pole.

i was told they dont' make a toggle like this. but my night swan had it when i was into playing some dream theater covers in the band.. measured it with the mulitimeter and it functioned just like a dpdt instead of the normal on on on switch usually only one half works one way one half works the other way.. if i coudl find another switch like this i would buy stock in them. as i can't find the part no.

Ok, you're talking about the original '50s Strat switch - my bad, I should have caught that. I still don't see how you can do this without at least 3 poles. And of course the Ibanez site is down, so I can't link to their wiring diagram, but if I understand what Petrucci uses, it breaks down like this:

Position 1 : Bridge coil A + bridge coil B in series (std humbucker)

Position 2 : Bridge coil B + neck coil A in parallel

Position 3 : Neck coil A + neck coil B in series (std humbucker)

Since you have to switch both poles to go from series to parallel, I don't see how you could do it with any standard switch, but I'm certainly always eager to learn.

after checking my old wiring i had a carvin switch that was three way, will ahve to look at the wiring on it to re do schematic.. for it.. but heres the way my night swan was wired using supposedly an on on on .. it was three possitions but it had the same amount of poles as a dpdt and it acted like a dpdt but had a third possition.. it ididnt' cut out one side like the normal ones did. just to expirament i took out the switch and wired up an led indicator to it to see if it really worked. (before i had a multimeter) after i got a meter i checked continuity and it functions as drawn. never could find a part no. for it. i am not sure but i dont' think it was stock.

• 1 year later...

Just out of interest, I'm looking for a couple of switches the same size as the dimarzio EP-1111, but with a DPDT (On-Off-On) and a SPDT (On-Off-On), custom wiring! I can get them in miniture size, but i want them in normal les paul toggle size. If anyone knows anywhere i can get these!!