Ridgid Router?

I'm planning to buy a router soon for my next project...

A bass luthier friend recommended the 2 1/4 hp Porter-Cable with plunge routing base. But I've read mixed reviews about it.

I was looking at a Ridgid 2 1/4 hp rig at the Depot the other day. It feels really solid and the depth adjustment is very smooth.

Plus it's got those cool LEDs. :D

Anybody own/use one?

Mike

i have two porter cables one unused. i bought two

on sale thinking i would use each for a different purpose

but still just use the one with no problems

and hitachi makes good tools. my cordless drill

and chopbox are old as hell and perform perfectly

The rigid router just kicks @ss. Ihave owned both the porter cable and the rigid. and hands down I like the rigid much more. It comes with standered base and plung base. this thing even has a light in it that comes on when you are routing. I like it so much I plan on buying a second one when I can aford it........

Mike

Just from my experience (extensive router use), the best bang for the buck on the market is the Hitatchi. I have three routers, two of which are trusty porters, but the speed of the and strenght of the 11 amp, 2 1/4 hp Hitachi makes me favor it over the 3HP moster porter for almost everything.

HTH,

R-

i'd have to say nay on that for two reasons

1. im sure you could get it close to what i paid

and i would not take less than i paid

2. i will use it at some point either as the backup that it is

or to make an overhead pin router

I have never used a Rigid. I have been looking at Hitachi's that I saw on sale at Rockler. I have had great luck with every Hitachi tool I have ever used. I should probably give one a shot.

Peace,Rich

I got the variable speed Hitachi KM12VC set yesterday for Father's Day. I got to pick it out myself. The Rockler price is the same as my local Lowes. So far, I'm impressed with it and think it's got a good fit and finish to it. It's pretty quiet too.

GBT