Frets Lights..

Ryder

actually, we never really takled about the fiber optics side of the whole discussion, anyone care to shed some light one that *cough* brian *cough* sounds like they might be a bit easier to do ??? i'd like to give it a try on one or 2 of the necks i have to make soon...

Nah,

I just followd the fretboard removal tut last week to take the f'board off of an old bass of mine. It was easy cheezy.

The only thing to keep in mind is that its a SLOW process. It took me about 2 hours to get mine off. Its boreing as all getout. Go really slow or you'll destroy the wood. One frett at a time.

Installing LED's in the board sounds easy in theory. Just rout out channels for the wire, and drill holes for the LED's, and top them off with clear epoxy. Of course, if something comes disconnected, or a LED burns out (can that even happen?) you gotta take the whole thing back apart. A potential pain in the arse.

:D

Led's can burn out if not properly hooked up to a resistor to limit current. If you hook the LED right to a battery and just let is sit, it will burn, and release alot of smoke, and can possibly start a fire. I haven't heard of Led's burning out when wired properly but I have seen on some of the LED flashlights a lifespan listed , so maybe? I burnt an LED recently just to see what would happen, and it was intresting to see the plastic bubble out but I stopped it when the smoke started pouring out. The biggist problem I see with LED's is that they are not usually very short and might poke out on thin fingerboards.

William

I'd say you could mount them deeper into the neck, but the truss rod is in the way.

Maybe the way to go would be to get smaller LED's, mount them horizontally, and fill the f'board inlay dots with a "cloudy epoxy substance" that would glow, rather than just have the raw LED shining.

Eh?

Yea, your right about the bending thing. I recall a video in my physics class where the presenter put a laser through a larger cable and you could see the light bending in the cable. It was really kind of cool to see the light reflect off the inside edges of the cable. Fiber cable is solid, but the light reflects off the inside edges. The purpose of the video was to show that if you bend the cable too much, the light doesn't reflect off the inside of the cable. It seems to me, that if you used fiber, you'd have to have an individual cable for each inlay. Then cap the inlay's with a semi-opaqe cover. Kind of like those tiny christmas trees with the pastic things that changes color over time.

William

hmm....... i seem to remember looking at this stuff when i was job shadowing at a hospital technichian shop... someone had steped on the cable... and it was like 600$ for a new one...

hmm :D meh.... i duno... if you offset the dots on the neck like on some ibanez models you wouldn't have to worry to much about how deep they are... well to a certain extent... lol get it? extent... into the neck? HAHAHa!!!!!!!

just so you know, Warwick Basses/Framus Guitars is the company that puts LED's into their fretboards as a custom option. it cost an addition $350. my guess, since it's LED and they have a separate battery pack at the base of the neck with a switch, is that they built electronics and just routed it through the truss rod hole, then cut a hole in the fingerboard and stuck the little glowing nobules in there. probably used some type of clear putty or poly-coat in order to smooth them out.

btw, that's the bassist from Limp Bizkit. i don't recall his name off the top of my head, but the bass drum head in the background gave it away (a beautiful orange county drums and percrussion set with three vents instead of two). that was for whoever was wonderring. and he's playing a Warwick Streamer 5-string. possibly a Stage-I or Stage-II, which are just better versions of the Streamer.

Sam Rivers is his name. that bugged me when i didn't remember it, so i looked it up. Sam Rivers.