My Second Acoustic Guitar - The Baritone

Well, this guitar's quite far along now, but I thought I'd start the thread at the begining...

Here's the pile of wood I started off with Click

And my spec list...

Oregon myrtle back and sides

Sitka Spruce top

Rosewood neck

Ebony Board

Ebony Bridge

Spruce bracing

Mahogany blocks

Mahogany linings

Rosewood binding on the body

Maple bound fretboard

29" scale tuned B to B or A to A

000 body shape, but 10mm deeper at all points

Pinned tennon neck joint

Bone nut and saddle

And where I'm up to today - I've just leveled the bindings up to the top and back, and I'll get them flush with the sides tomorrow, and start the neck joint.

picture of front

5.jpg

Edited by jammy

Dammit, you're too fast!

(he said, having a Baritone acoustic guitar with similar specs, just shallower but larger body merely awaiting binding - hatesss binding, I does! - and a final neck set before finishing...)

And now I want Myrtle.

Lovely stuff, though!

Here's the pile of wood I started off with Click

Is it just me or does your pile of wood look a lot like the microsoft home page...?

Seriously, is it redirecting anyone else there?

Cool guitar BTW!

That wood is great.

Cool, You gotta love that Myrtle. Should be interesting to see how it sounds with that scale length and tuning. Any pix inside the Box? Very nice clean work!

Peace,Rich

None inside the box no, unfortunatly.

Its as clean as I could make it - cheers :D

Cool, You gotta love that Myrtle. Should be interesting to see how it sounds with that scale length and tuning. Any pix inside the Box? Very nice clean work!

Peace,Rich

None inside the box no, unfortunatly.

Its as clean as I could make it - cheers :D

That's cool. It is a pain to stop working for pic ops. What style bracing did you use on this one? Any special mods for this type of guitar? Kinda curious about the back/side thickness you used with the Myrtle.

Peace,Rich

P.S. Rosewood binding looks great with the Myrtle, nice choice.

I'm using a 29" scale, and to keep things looking right, a 15 fret neck joint.

This leaves the bridge about 1.5cm further back on the body than normal on a 000, to compensate for this I shifted the X a little, but added a large, slightly thicker than normal bridge plate to transfer the string tension stress to the X's a little better. Other than that it's normal 000 like my last (with the wing/block arrangment at the neck end like before)

Side thickness was about normal (2.7mm) but I thinned them a little at the wastes to avoid cracking in the flame.

Edited by jammy

I'm using a 29" scale, and to keep things looking right, a 15 fret neck joint.

This leaves the bridge about 1.5cm further back on the body than normal on a 000, to compensate for this I shifted the X a little, but added a large, slightly thicker than normal bridge plate to transfer the string tension stress to the X's a little better. Other than that it's normal 000 like my last (with the wing/block arrangment at the neck end like before)

Side thickness was about normal (2.7mm) but I thinned them a little at the wastes to avoid cracking in the flame.

Good info. I wonder how moving the bridge position back in relation to the soundboard behind the waist area (as well asmoving the bracing back). Should be interesting to hear from you if it improves performance, or what changes you notice. Keep up the good work!

Peace,Rich

2.7mm is pretty damn thick for sides, methinks; I've never seen anyone reccomend anything thicker than .090", usually .085", which translates to 2.16-2.3mm, down to 2mm for tight cutaways...

1.06" is not unheard of (although a bit thick). Myrtle is pretty flexable and not extreamly dense. Really it depends a lot on the wood at least to me. When I am doing my final thickness on the sides I will run then till they flex the way I want them to. The back I sand it until it just starts to loosen up the way I want it.

It does bring up a good question as to why people buy backs at a min. thickness of .14" when we all know full well they are headed for .110-.075". Do you figure most people need at least .03"-.065" to clean up slop after joining?

Peace,Rich

2.7mm is pretty damn thick for sides, methinks; I've never seen anyone reccomend anything thicker than .090", usually .085", which translates to 2.16-2.3mm, down to 2mm for tight cutaways...

1.06" is not unheard of (although a bit thick). Myrtle is pretty flexable and not extreamly dense. Really it depends a lot on the wood at least to me. When I am doing my final thickness on the sides I will run then till they flex the way I want them to. The back I sand it until it just starts to loosen up the way I want it.

It does bring up a good question as to why people buy backs at a min. thickness of .14" when we all know full well they are headed for .110-.075". Do you figure most people need at least .03"-.065" to clean up slop after joining?

Peace,Rich

I think it's got more to do with cleaning up bandsaw marks/not so accurate resawing than slop jointing; I know I don't need to sand at all (or practically not at all) to get an evenly glued up plate, and I'm hardly a pro at this game.

I like to shoot for a lightweight box, where possible..

Mattia

I have never bought a pre-cut set.

"I think it's got more to do with cleaning up bandsaw marks/not so accurate resawing than slop jointing; I know I don't need to sand at all (or practically not at all) to get an evenly glued up plate, and I'm hardly a pro at this game."

Do dealers normally sell sets that have not been surfaced to remove saw marks? :D

Peace,Rich

I have never bought a pre-cut set.

"I think it's got more to do with cleaning up bandsaw marks/not so accurate resawing than slop jointing; I know I don't need to sand at all (or practically not at all) to get an evenly glued up plate, and I'm hardly a pro at this game."

Do dealers normally sell sets that have not been surfaced to remove saw marks? :D

Peace,Rich

No, they do, but I suspect it requires less setup to saw thicker boards to start off with. Although, has to be said, all the stuff I've gotten from Spanish suppliers is in the rough, just sawn.

Edited by Mattia

Well, it's playing! Still needs a little more fine work, and of course spraying. That will come next week (I'll be spraying my first acoustic then too.

For now, here's some photos...

6.jpg

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/acoustic2/7.jpg

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/acoustic2/8.jpg

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/acoustic2/9.jpg

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/acoustic2/10.jpg

http://www.solar.myby.co.uk/misc/andy/acoustic2/11.jpg

Cheers guys. :D

It sounds great yeah, I'm really happy with it - it needs playing in a bit but I'm sure it's going to mature nicely.

As for the tuning - it's B to B at the moment, but I'm going to have a little experiment and see what sounds best over the next week or so...

Looks great!