How To Make A New Chrome Tailpiece Look Vintage

Put it on a guitar and play it for 50 years

Seriously though, I tried searching the internet for you (and I'd guess you'd tried that already because I couldnt find anything), you should try searching this forum for older discussions, and if that fails maybe you could try the MIMForum library (you have to register to gain access to it)

Good luck

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&...6-05-2505:32:16

Found this thread in a quick google search, some photo links as well.

If you go the acid route, be careful!

I would imagine that buying nickel parts would be the easiest solution - most of my "aged" chrome parts are really just chrome parts that the top layer of plating has worn off of, leaving the nickel plating beneath, which tarnishes pretty quickly after I scrub it up.

Also found this: http://www.tdpri.com/resourceRELICING.htm with some mention of chrome towards the bottom.

I'd just try a google search for relicing guitars; I know there is more than one website which goes through the whole process, wheras searching particularly for relicing or aging chrome turns up mostly hits for things mentioning for sale and whether or not their chrome is aged, as well lots of car related stuff.

Use polished nickel hardware versus chrome. It will tarnish a bit on its own and has more of a vintage look than chrome.

When I was in the process of relic'ing my EVH (which I still am :D ) I let the chrome parts soak in bleach. Basically I just took the chrome off with 220 grit and let them soak a few hours. Took them out (with gloves on of course :D ) and let them air dry. However, at the time I left them in a bit too long and they rusted too much, but it still looks cool to me. I'd also like to note you should experiment with how long you leave it in the bleach. I've gotten pretty good results with leaving it in for 15 minutes then letting it air dry, although it may differ for you. Also make sure you disassemble EVERYTHING as the rust can lock up a lot of screws and such, which isn't good. B)

DSC01789.jpg

Pretty sweet if you ask me! :D

Edited by AlGeeEater