Basswood Characteristics

Basswood is rather soft, dings up easily, and often has mineral streaks. I'd go for either alder or swamp ash.

This quote is from another thread and got me thinking. :D Is basswood all that bad? Many people here seem to not like basswood. Ibanez and other quality companies use basswood for their bodies. Are there any real disadvantages to using basswood? I've heard people say that it is soft and dings easily, but if you are not going to be swinging it around on stage then there is no real problems of it getting hurt.

Well, I would guess that Ibanez coats their Basswood bodies in a thick and very hard finish, so there is some protection there.

If you use Basswood and a typical hobbyist finish like Tru-Oil or something, forget it jack, it will be nicked to death in no time.

Basically, everything you quoted is true. It IS soft, it DOES dent easily, and it's not very good looking in it's natural state.

You need to remember that guitar companies use products that are affordable and will get the job done basically. Basswood is very affordable and easy on tools, so from a mass manufacturing standpoint, it's a (cough cough) ...good choice.

When you're a guy building one guitar, you are not limited to the decision making process that mass manufacturers are bound to, you can use whatever you want, and there are many other options out there.

Having said that, hey, you can make a guitar out of just about anything out there, so if you want to use Basswood, then use it, no one is stopping you, and it does work, but be prepared after all the work you put into it to have a nicked guitar relatively soon.

You LOOK at Baswood and it dents, you can put your thumbnail right into it, so you better look into using some very very hard finish to get any protection out of it, and well, you can get so many other woods for the same money basically...but if you feel the need to use Baswood, then use it and be happy. :D

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that basswood is the best quality, I'm just saying that it is not as horrible as some people think. I know it is not the strongest, and there are much better woods out there. I am leaning toward alder since it seems a little more durable and looks nicer IMO. :D

And while we're talking about wood, anyone want to comment on poplar? I've heard similar complaints about that wood.

Poplar does have greenish streaks thru it that make it unatractive for clear finishing, but besides that, it is more on a par with Alder as far as general characteristics go, I just happen to like the acoustical properties of Alder better than Poplar, but if you had access to Poplar, there's really nothing wrong with it, it's just that for me, there's really nothing extroadinary about it either tone-wise, and Poplar and Alder are pretty comparatively priced.

Only difference is that I could find Poplar lumber wide enough and thick enough (13" x 6/4 and 8/4) to make one piece bodies out of, but the Alder I find is usually not wide enough and I have to make 2-piece bodies from it, which doesn't bother me any, as I really prefer the tone and looks of it.

Alder is sort of plain-grained, but it actually is pretty good looking in a basic sort of way, at least for the back of a body, I quite like it.

But for hardness and density and strength, Poplar is pretty similar to Alder, where Basswood is light as a feather and very soft. They should call it butterwood AFAIC. :D

Really? Poplar is like alder? :D I had thought that poplar was closer to basswood. I didn't know it was that much stronger. If it is close to alder, I think I'll use it instead, since I can get it easier. Thanks, this really helps. :D

Really? Poplar is like alder?

Yes, weight and strength-wise. But depending on how much green streaking it has, it might not look so good with a blue stain... or any stain, for that matter.

Basswood and poplar are generally only used for solid-finished guitars. I'd try staining a scrap of poplar first to see how it looks.

Basswood is soft. It does dent easily.

That aside: Basswood has positive features. It does have a unique tonal quality (for what that is worth). It is lite weight and that is favorable to many. It is easy on the tools and great to work with. As far as it being ugly or visually undesirable. I have two blanks. Both are bright white, extreamly clear, have light curl. The grain does not have a strong appearance (normally I dig strong grain, but it would suit a clean look).

So Although I am not a huge fan. It does have unique qualities that could be sought after by others.

In terms of price it is not much different in price than other common hardwoods. We are talking about a few board feet and only a couple dollars seperates Alder,Ash,Maple,Baswood,Poplar,Khaya(african Mahoganies),Birch,Cherry,and so forth. I can see how a huge manufacturer could think about cost, but they are only paying $6-8 for body wood (any of the above mentioned woods). I doubt that is a consideration on a mid priced model. I can see it on a $100-$200 guitar. Now availability is a must. They could never mass produce Zircote (or other limited supply woods) bodies.

As hobbiests. We can do whatever we want in terms of wood selection. Take advantage of your edge and use whatever you want to use. Don't follow large manufacturers because you think you have no other "better" options. Even wood like Spruce, Douglas Fir, Redwood (softer woods but hella resonant). If you like it go for it. If you have a wild theory try it. It is your guitar.

P.S. I would use a very durable finish if you do go with a softer wood. Drak is spot on. An oil finish is going to get beat to heck in short order with a softer body.

Peace,Rich

I recently built a guitar out of basswood and was blown away by the sound I got out of it. It was my first string-through. When strummed and I placed my ear to the body it vibrated just like a piano. The nitro finish also came out really nice and rock hard. The owner is extremely happy with the guitar. I've had very good luck with using somewhat lesser quality wood. One of my best guitars to date was made with a poplar top and back. Look at Benedetto's pine guitar. It's all in how you built it.

I know this seems wishy-washy but everyone is right so far in their own spectrum. I think (IMHO) that Basswood works very well with a hard finish (nitro or poly with a hardner) because of the combination of the soft wood giving a rich tone (that resonantes well) and the finish (hard) giving it a bite. I think everyone seems in agreement that it is not the prettiest of wood and is easily damaged so I would only use it on a painted guitar. As for the Poplar/Alder debate...I thank everyone for the information...Rog