Les Paul Or Ibanez

alucardm911

You want to go buy a $2000 guitar just so you can down-tune? Are you kidding me? Go buy another Ibanez if you're gonna do that. get one with a fixed bridge, like a PGM or an RGA321f. Their both cheaper than a Les Paul and better quality, IMO.

RGA321FSPB.jpg

PGM301WH.jpg

Edited by ibz_rg

Buy a Tremol-no from our fabulous mod Kevin. :-p

http://www.tremol-no.com/

Since the Ibanez ZR is not based on a Floyd Rose, the Tremol-No won't work on it. It's got a dual spring system that provides tension on both sides of the trem block which acts like a backstop. However, even without the negative tension backstop system, there's no way to mount the tremolno since it doesn't use regular trem springs.

Found a pic (courtesy of Jemsite).

GBT

well wasa asking because i dont really want to sit an hour with a trem tring to drop tune it and didnt really want to buy another guitar so........ :D

Downtuning the ZR is a lot easier than a free floating bridge like an Edge or Floyd Rose. It only takes minutes, and I've done it (I've owned 3 ZR equipped guitars though I'm down to two right now). However, if you plan on switching between tunings, I'd suggest picking up another guitar. The RG321 fixed bridge can be foun used online for cheap, sometimes less than $200.

GBT

Ah, my mistake.

No worries. It's a great trem if you haven't had the chance to play with one. I love em, though you can't do the kind of divebombs you can with an Edge or other trem.

GBT`

You want to go buy a $2000 guitar just so you can down-tune? Are you kidding me? Go buy another Ibanez if you're gonna do that. get one with a fixed bridge, like a PGM or an RGA321f. Their both cheaper than a Les Paul and better quality, IMO.

:D:DB)

lp2.jpeg

I can guarantee you I paid less for my real Les Paul Classic brand new than either of the two Ibenhad's that you just suggested. Better quality my ass, too.

I can guarantee you I paid less for my real Les Paul Classic brand new than either of the two Ibenhad's that you just suggested. Better quality my ass, too.

I've played 2,000 dollar plus les pauls and honestly my 700 dollar ibanez rg1570 plays a lot better.

I've played 2,000 dollar plus les pauls and honestly my 700 dollar ibanez rg1570 plays a lot better.

That's because you can't play well enough to appreciate such a fine instrument :D I've played $150 Squiers that play better than your $700 Ibenhad.

That was a joke, in case anyone's about to get offended.

Seriously, though, the only people who seem to rag on Gibson are the people who can't afford to buy one yet. The sad thing is that Ibanez charges twice as much for what you can get on a top-of-the-line Squier, made by the same Asian child-slave labor.

Edited by crafty

You know, I'm happier with my $550 Epi LP Custom than I would be with most other guitars in that price range. I've played Fenders, Corts, and ESPs, and the only ones that come close to the Epi are the neck-thru ESPs. However, I prefer the pickups in the Epi over the EMG-HZs in the ESPs. Really, the only problem with my Epi is the binding -- there is a very evident groove along the bottom of the binding where they obviously didn't level the binding. Doesn't bother me any. With a few upgrades (new tuners, pickups, maybe an Earvana nut), it could probably blow away any guitar in its price range (price of upgrades included).

Seriously, though, the only people who seem to rag on Gibson are the people who can't afford to buy one yet.

Except that's complete bull.

I could go out and buy a Gibson right now (the disposable cash I've got, but I'd rather spend it on lumber) but who won't because we're fantastically underwhelmed by the quality control, detailing, feel, and design of the things. Add the truly frightening cross-sections (swiftly removed from their website) of the Les Paul short and long tenons, and I've got even less faith in that company's ability to build a well-constructed guitar (over 1/8" large gaps on the bottom of a set neck joint = bloody appalling, and totaly unacceptable), they have the most idiotic way of dealing with neck binding/fretting, relatively weak headstocks, often weigh as much as a ton of bricks... Gibsons are great investments, they'll hold resale value, collectability is top notch and all that, but they don't set any standards for quality in my book.

Are there great Gibsons out there? Heck yes. Of course there are. Some of the custom shop stuff is damned nice, and I do quite love the F5 (and the looks of their acoustics, although very rarely the sound). Are there very many Gibsons out there that are absurdly overpriced for the workmanship they display? Most assuredly. The brand holds little appeal to me, so that doesn't sway me. They've made some great, beautiful instruments, but my impression is that they're currently cruising on past glory, and not pushing hard to deliver quality worthy of their name.

Can't be a player if you're a hater...

The ragging on Gibson I've seen here is akin to Honda Prelude owners ragging on Porsche because the cupholders in the 911 are too small. A Gibson is what it is. An evolution of fifty-year-old design. Yes, the Les Paul weighs a ton, but no other guitar made with a basswood body, a cheap locking trem, and a thin, bolt-on maple neck is going to sound just like a real Les Paul. Even the Norlin-era pancakes are increasing in value because they just sound and play pretty good, too.

And BTW, quality control at Gibson is probably better now than it ever has been. They're building more guitars per month now than they built for the entire 1950-59 decade, too.

You can lay down ANY record for ANY style of music with a Tele, a Strat, or a Les Paul. The big names may endorse Ibanez and ESP on stage and in the ads, but when it comes down to actually laying down the tracks in the studio, most of 'em still reach for one of the Big Three. Fifty years of evolution beats twenty years of copying and endorsing any day of the week.

There's no disputing some of them (those most used in studios) are great instruments. Disputing they're all of that quality, or that the 'Big Three' are used commonly for any reason other than tradition (and guitarists are as traditional a bunch as you'll find anywhere) involves a good deal of conjecture on your part.

I'm just looking at the Gibsons I see/play in stores. Overall, I'm less than impressed.

And you're studying to be a lawyer? Sorry bub, you just blew yourself up. Generally the larger the production, the less time they're able to spend on QC. Besides, you've seen the photos of the factory tour, right? Show me the QC there!

You really do think you're a smartass, don't you? :D

If you actually knew anything about modern production techniques compared to those used in the '50s, you would know that the QC has increased because of the modernization of the process. Increases in production are a result of automation, just like increases in quality control. You cannot build 1,000 handmade guitars in the same amount of time a machine can and come anywhere near the accuracy and consistency of the machine-made product.

Your friends' guitar was probably finished in nitro. I've come across Gibsons that are 30-40 years old that have a ton of checking and a lot that don't. It all comes down to care and the environment it's been stored in.