Fender Vs Gibson

Of course theres many great vintage instruments, but the hype has gone way to far..Does anybody remember late eighties? Then (at least) bass players (guitarists may be a bit more conservative) used to play GREAT instruments...nowdays you often see, even pros, play crap.. as long its a *insertpopularguitarcompany* :-) logo on the headstock.

Edited by Odin

I must say, some of the best funk sounds (slap/pop) I've heard have been from Fender Jazz basses. Really, there is a different sound between slapping a Fender and slapping a Warwick. I've always preferred the sounds of a (good) Jazz bass over any Warwick when it comes to slap.

Bassists tend to play better instruments than guitarists, imo. I mean, 50% or more rock guitarists nowadays play an LP. However, bassists have a HUGE array of basses that they can and do choose from. A far smaller percentage of bass players play *insertpopularguitarcompany* basses compared to guitarists. Does that make sense?

I think guitarists tend to be far more conservative than bass players. At least it used to be that way.

I wonder if there is future for the gitar.. People are looking more and more to the past, not the future. And take a look at the hottest guitar heroes anno 2006..its Vai and Yngwie all over again.

Go over to talkbass and have a look at some of the instruments in the luthiers section. Its hard to come up with new guitar designs that guitarists will actually buy over the famous brands, i think bassists are more willing to try unusual shapes and designs if they think it will suit them, they seem more open to new technologies being used on there basses as well.. I like building guitar because i am a guitarist but i find designing basses much more fun because you can start to think outside the box without alienating your target group.

I personally am a strat lover. I have several even though I am newer player and builder. I like the strat because of it's versatility in sound (telecaster as well). I don't like them "because" they are Fenders, nor because they are popular, or more available/affordable. The only Gibson I have ever actually spent any time with is a 1967 LP of my neighbor's. I LOVE IT, but I don't plan on buying one (especially when I can now build one *wink*). I think what it comes down to is personal preference. Kinda like a Ford v. Chevy man.

AS for the relic trend, There aren't really many "cheap" Gibsons, and you don't see many people beating thier new US strats and setting them on fire either. I know I am more apt to shrug off a ding on my Charvel strat than I am my Aerodyne. For a more expensive exclusive instrument it more of a flaw instead of character. Now a naturally occuring relic from play and age in any category is true character be it a Gibson or a Squire.

JMO