Fender Vs Gibson

Just i little think that struck me today :D

Howcome theres not the same hype around old Gibsons, like theres with old Fenders? Is it because Gibsons doesnt LOOK better when aging, but Fenders does?

I know this is not the right forum, but i guess many of you have views on this..

Edited by Odin

Are you joking!! Most vintage freaks would go just as mad for a 50's les paul as they would a 50's strat, personally i would prefer the gibbo anyday but i dont have that kind of money

The only real difference between fender collectors and gibson collectors is people dont mind (as much) old fenders being well worn, gibson collectors get very finicky if anythings been bashed about too much. Fender people want used but original, gibson people want pristine but nicely aged although strangely they dont seem to mind the odd headstock reglue

OLD gibbo's look great, i love the old sunbursts where the red has faded (unburst).

hey relax...! Im just talking about guitars..

Ok...old les Pauls (i was thinking of them) are worth a lot (all old things are..after a while) but i have never heard how much better they sound than new ones. And...old les Pauls does not look better than a new one...Fenders does.

Dude, seriously, 50's Les Pauls tend to command even more idiotic high prices than vintage Fenders. It's got nothing to do with age, everything to do with hype and absurdly rich collectors. Even badly damaged 50's Les Paul will command stupid money. I was talking to a guy of mine who semi-frequently repairs instruments for fairly known players, including some who own 50's Les Paul Standards (flame, bursts), and he won't repair some of them because his insurance won't cover the insurance; mint condition guitars have gone for between 175 and 200 thousand dollars.

There are plenty of folks who will swear blind that the old LP's (50's and 60's, but I believe the 58 is the 'holy grail' to many) are tons better than the current crowd. No question. You're clearly not hanging around the right forums :D

Ok :D il drop the whole subject.

Have you heard that it was actually the communists that made the les Paul...in order to make americans more interested in rock n roll and smoking pot than making war.

Edited by Odin

Have you heard that it was actually the communists that made the les Paul...in order to make americans more interested in rock n roll and smoking pot than making war.

:D:DB)

in order to make americans more interested in rock n roll and smoking pot than making war.

too bad it didn't work, eh?

Yeah, then France would still be under German control.

- im sorry i had to, it was just set up too nicely

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

in order to make americans more interested in rock n roll and smoking pot than making war.

too bad it didn't work, eh?

Yeah, then France would still be under German control.

- im sorry i had to, it was just set up too nicely

Dude, you're confusing the Cold War with the second World War...

When I read his post, I thought he was referring to the relic'ing trend, that you see Fender relic stuff/info all the time, but you really don't hear much about trying to relic a LP or an SG very much.

Least that's where I thought he was going with that.

[When I read his post, I thought he was referring to the relic'ing trend, that you see Fender relic stuff/info all the time, but you really don't hear much about trying to relic a LP or an SG very much]

Thanks Drak.

What i meant was the relic trend and the hype about old fenders sound so much better than new ones..(NOT what old gibsons are worth to collectors and others)...i dont see the same hype when it comes to Gibsons. Maybe im ignorant.

Edited by Odin

I think the Fender thing is even more dramatic with their old basses. I'm not sure how much old Strats or Teles go for, but I've seen Jazz basses going for $14,000 (with bids) on ebay.

Is that right!!

About 10 years ago the 60's fender basses were dirt cheap compared to the guitars of the same age, i always presumed bassists were less bothered about the whole vintage thing, being more forward thinkers and all.

I had a 60's mustang bass in perfect (closet classic) condition that i payed £300 for back then from a guitar shop, i sold it quite quickly (for the same price) because i never got on with the short scale length :DB):D