Recording Software

monkey69962000

I use cubase sx3 on a regualar bassis and am heading to college for an audio recording technology degree this fall. I use Protools but not at my house I dont wish to spend alot of money on there over priced equipment. Ill stick with my delta1010 and my cubase sx3. If you need some help give me an email at XXXJeff.d.sinclair@gmail.comXXX (remove the XXX's) or PM me. really for the money the best plugins arn't waves like people say the. UAD-1 card that you can buy is very very good even rivals some expensive out board gear IMO.

Just my 2 cents anyone give me a shout if they wish. Also go visit tweakheadz.com for more info on gear and software.

Jeff

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UAD-1 is indeed great. Expensive to get into, though. I'd rather UAD than the Waves, though, so I totally agree on that. I suspect that you'll be fine with any of the software I mentioned in my post and the very VERY high quality freeware that's available these days.

When demos are available, always try before you buy.

If you found Cubase a bit tricky, though, it's pretty much using the same basic standard interface as most other software. With notable exceptions, Sonar, Cubase, ProTools, Logic, and the rest tend to use the same "hardware look-alike plus tracks" look and feel. And all have lots of menus. Tracktion and Ableton Live are 2 notable pieces of software that break from this tradition, though I prefer Tracktion's way of doing so.

Greg

Free for a very limited time (soon to be inexpensive shareware), so grab it now, monkey:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

I can't testify that it's great (I just use what I know, Tracktion 2) myself, but the forums (notably KvR and the Line6 TonePort forum) that I visit have users that absolutely love it.

It's about as full-featured as Acid or any other program, has unique approaches to a few things, and even if you pay for it when it becomes commercial, it will be cheap.

The main drawback: the included FX aren't my favourites. But that's what KvRAudio and a few good recommendations are for. :D

Greg

Just remember people get some good analog to digital converters or all your expensive software will be for nothing. If you don't have good conversion at the source theres no luck making your recording sound very good. Just remember get a nice interface it doesn't have to have a million inputs but look for ones with good Analog to Digital converters as well as grab your self a nice preamp especially if your doing any vocals. Some thing like The RNC will be fine.

Just my 2 cents, maybe Greg can back me up on my points if he agrees.

Jeff

Just remember people get some good analog to digital converters or all your expensive software will be for nothing. If you don't have good conversion at the source theres no luck making your recording sound very good. Just remember get a nice interface it doesn't have to have a million inputs but look for ones with good Analog to Digital converters as well as grab your self a nice preamp especially if your doing any vocals. Some thing like The RNC will be fine.

Just my 2 cents, maybe Greg can back me up on my points if he agrees.

Jeff

I second your advise! Good software is nothing if you can't hand it a good signal. When I looked at building my first comp. recording system I really focussed on the software and computer. Then I focussed on the converter. Years and several systems later. I finally realised I was really working backwords. Start at the source of your signal chain and work tward the computer software. If your source is sounding great and your signal chain gets it to the box. The software requirements should be minimal. The best software will only put so much lipstick on a pig.

Peace,Rich

I got a high quality 1/4" to 1/8" converter from my Zoom 606. i get decent quality. I like what i have, just i need help using Cubase. Greg, i got Reaper, and thanks, i just downloaded the setup so if i dont like cubase ill just intall it. I sent an email chomp, but you havent replied. i still need help.

I totally agree with guitarchump.

Now, the tricky thing about your Zoom, monkey, is that even though it might have good converters, they're all internal and don't get your signal to the computer. So you're adding an extra 2 stages of conversion:

guitar (analog) --> digital (zoom) --> line out (analog)

Or, Analog to digital to analog.

But since you are just generating an analog signal at the end of this (ie. it's not going directly into your computer's software) you need to convert the analog back to digital again, which is what happens at your soundcard.

SO, what Guitarchump is getting at is that you need a decent interface (ie. soundcard, whether it's internal or FireWire or whatnot). Now, you can get EXCELLENT converters in an interface without paying through the nose, and if you buy something with decent bundled software, you can look at it as an extreme bargain.

The tricky thing with using something like a Soundblaster or your built-in soundcard is that it will be tricky to monitor (ie. hear) your signal in realtime. With most setups involving consumer-grade soundcards, you'll play your instrument and then hear it a few moments later. This is called "latency" and is the bane of digital recordists' existence.

IF you have any spare money at all, I recommend getting a "proper" soundcard and from there make a software decision. If the soundcard comes bundled with something decent (ie. NOT Live Lite, in my opinion), you're set; otherwise there's something like Reaper or other inexpensive software like N-Tracks.

Greg

I got a high quality 1/4" to 1/8" converter from my Zoom 606. i get decent quality. I like what i have, just i need help using Cubase. Greg, i got Reaper, and thanks, i just downloaded the setup so if i dont like cubase ill just intall it. I sent an email chomp, but you havent replied. i still need help.

I'm sorry dude but either you're very well off or a software thief! I don't know of too many people who could BUY Cubase SX for $500 and decide later if they 'like it or not'! While talking about so many pieces at a fraction of it's price.

Sorry if I offend anyone else, just ticks me off! It's how some of us make a living you know? :D

well if its cubase sx and not cubase sx2 or 3 then i can see getting it for really cheap. My whole veiw on the matter is hey if you end up actually using the software buy it! These companies arnt like mirosoft, they need the money they dont sell millions of units of software. Plus if your just starting out your really dont need cubase sx. There is no point in using it over the free programs when you dont even have a decent setup and havent had much experience. Thats just my 2 cents, but im happy to help anyone out. It isnt my buisness if it is stolen or not thats up to you, the software company, and the government. Just remember kids If you end up using the software for making demos and making some money PLEASE go and buy the software! Just buy the software anyways or use a free version!

Jeff

on PCs, Sonar is my software of choice. its the most intuitive piece of software that i have used. i couldnt figure out Live, Cubase or Traktion within 5 minutes of installing their demos so i skipped them and went to Sonar which was sort of self-explanatory to me.

since i have moved to Mac, GB3 and Logic Pro are my environments. I really wish that Sonar was available for Macs though.

It isnt my buisness if it is stolen or not thats up to you, the software company, and the government.

Well he explicitly states:

I have Cubase SX 3. I dont know how to use it. Anyone know where i can? I will look into Tracktion.

Oh, and by the way...I work for the government! :D

B)

Cubase has an available demo for this exact sort of evaluation, no need for theft. :D

Agreed but really i dont think its worth worrying about. People will steal software and there really isnt anything we as forum users can do about it. My beef is more when i walk into proffesional studios and see there using priated copies of the software. Anyone who makes money with the software there is no discussion, they need to purchase it! There is less harm in people downlaoding software that if they had to purchase it they wouldnt buy it then with some company that needs it for there buisness. Its still wrong and I would never steal software and the like but im more leanient on users who really wouldnt have purchased it in the first place. But rmember it doesnt make it anyless worng, but i feel less reason to argue in that regard. It really isnt worth my time.

Demo's are your friends people.

Jeff

Edited by guitarchump

my friend gave it to me

and i think its with a try it before you buy it think. So i get like a few days with it. Im trying it out. I dont steal, sorry if it seemed like i did. i think ill stick with Tracktion though, it seems pretty cool. Im taking cubase off today because it expires in like a week. Also, i need a laptop, i just found out that the tablet pc laptops now have intel duo's, so im going to use my money on that. thanks for all the help everyone.

Thanks chump, and i understand your concern Gorecki. Its off my computer right now, so no worry at all. Reaper is pretty cool, i just installed it. well, thanks again.

Edited by monkey69962000

Just to let you know i never acused you of stealing. I dont wanna seem like some mean guy im really not. By the way if your spending that much money on a laptop get a nice firewire interface. M-audio, motu, emu and many other companies sell some nice ones. Your sound quality will improve a 100 fold.

Just my 2 cents

Jeff

well, i have my desktop for quality music. Im going to use the laptop for engineering and cad work.

Just to prove my inocence, you need a dongle to run Cubase, and i dont have one nor know what the heck it does. I dont think it can be pirated easily and i dont know how to crack stuff. I just want to keep a good rep, and not look like a theif.

monkey, my 11 daughter BS's better than you and she's NOT good at it. :D

I'm just going to leave this in dust with a simple list of points.

'Borrowing' software the vast majority of the time is theft.

Downloading illegal software is a really foolish act, your ip address is logged and your ISP will point at your household if something comes down. It does come down! I've seen it.

It's exactly as if walking into the store, picking up a guitar and trying to walk out. It's no different!

Some people (like me) depend on making a living on software revenue by honest ass hard work. Piracy has killed many really cool small startups.

Think man!

:D

think what you want. i cant change your mind because there are plenty of kids my age that do steal. And if you read closely i said it was an evaluation thing. It let me use the program for a month, but i got rid of it now because i need the space, my old computer only has 80 gigs, and i loaded a lot of engineering software from my robotics team on it (autodesk inventor and 3dsmax), which takes up a big chunck of memory. I needed more room so i took it off because i was happy with tracktion. If there is one thing i hate, its me being accused of something i didnt do. Just because im young doesnt mean i freaken download illegally. I do care if you leave it in the dust, i dont want you or anyone else to get a false impression of me. I know piracy is bad, but people take it too far and look in the wrong place, and example MXTabs got taken down because of blame, yet Limewire or whatever it is people use now is still up. Not blaming you Gorecki, just saying the overall majority of people that complain. And i do support PACE and what they are doing with Digidesign with the iLok system. I think thats what a dongle is, but im not sure, anyways i dont think piracy is right, i still buy my software when i need it, which i havent needed to until about a week or two ago, and i get music from online pay sites sometime but usually my local Tower Records.

Gorecki, I'm very much with you in terms of anti-piracy, so this isn't about that-- but there is NOT actually a demo for Cubase. It's a real thorn in my side because I always tell people "try before you buy, download the demo when available," with "when available" always referring (even when I don't state it) to Cubase.

I don't think you should pirate Cubase in order to try it, however-- I just think you should not buy Cubase at all unless you've tried it at a music store or friend's house and like it.

Back on topic:

Sonar is definitely intuitive if you're expecting the 'typical' paradigm. Some people already have a passing familiarity with how these softwares generally work, and Sonar does it better than most. But I can't imagine Tracktion escaping anyone's grasp in 5 minutes. I mean, there's literally nothing to it. You point your device at a track (clearly labelled) and press the world-wide standard "record" button. That's all. It doesn't get more intuitive than that!

Greg

Gorecki, I'm very much with you in terms of anti-piracy, so this isn't about that-- but there is NOT actually a demo for Cubase.

Hmmm, there use to be one, where'd it go? :D

Maybe they're revamping it, it was based on SX 1, though still not that radically different. Got me to buy Cubase.

Bummer.

Game on! :D

Yup. They haven't had a demo since SX1, which was still available after SX2 came out, but which vanished after SX3. And even if the SX1 demo were still available, it wouldn't really be the same software anymore, making it pointless.