Recording Software

monkey69962000

Hey, i was wondering what people thought their favorite recording software. I know pro tools is good, but im having a little trouble with it, and if someone could PM me if they know a lot about it. Well, i also want to know what other software people use. Im sure there is a thread similar, but what the heck. Post away.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, i was wondering what people thought their favorite recording software. I know pro tools is good, but im having a little trouble with it, and if someone could PM me if they know a lot about it. Well, i also want to know what other software people use. Im sure there is a thread similar, but what the heck. Post away.

I use Cool Edit Pro...kind of old, but it works.

I have Sonar 4 Studio Edition and it works pretty well. Like anything else, you just have to get use to it. And like anything else again, it does the same stuff more or less that everything else already does. My thought would be to question what the easier use of what software to understand. If you have pro tools, then you have enough in terms of editing, but if you want software effects and video input then you're going to have to pay extra with any software program.

For the mac, another viable option is Tracktion 2. I love this software, and I really don't think you can beat its ease of use and yet powerful features, at any price.

I like audacity. Free, simple to use and does what I want it to.

I agree that the UX2 is super-cool especially for the price. I have one, and even got the "Power Pack" which gives it all the remaining PodXT models (amps, cabs, AND effects).

However, I think what he really wants is the sequencer part, and the Ableton Live Lite that comes with the TonePort is in a word "horrible."

So, Tracktion 2 + TonePort UX2 = an unbeatable combination, IMO. :D:D

Greg

I like tracktion 2 also after looking at it. But I see that the reason all you guys like it is really because of the many built in plugins supplied fo free. Though they are good, most of the plugins are not my cup of tea. Here is a list down of the mackie supplied vst's and the ones professionals use:

Amplitube LE (sucks 4 its price)

sample tank (not bad).... LE (better save up)

RMIV (not realistic)

the rest...haven't tried, but with names like cheese machine....I might be a bit sceptic.

Ok here are better alternatives for the above software:

Guitar Rig 2 or Amplitube 2 (better than LE) though line6 still do well

Spectrasonics Atmpsphere

Spectrasonics stylus RMX

Spectrasonics Triology

(All spectrasonics plugins are great with over 10GB of samples compared with sampletank's 250mb)

EDIT: oh yea propellerhead reason is swell too.

Edited by rokeros

I've got cool edit and reason. I don't use them for recording though as I have a BIG bag of sound files.

Generally we just get drunk, plug the laptop into the stereo and leave one of my DJ mates to just make it up as he goes along (especially on Reason).

Has anyone ween the Behringer guitar with the USB cable to go straight into the computer. Comes with all the software too.

I like tracktion 2 also after looking at it. But I see that the reason all you guys like it is really because of the many built in plugins supplied fo free. Though they are good, most of the plugins are not my cup of tea. Here is a list down of the mackie supplied vst's and the ones professionals use:

That's way off the mark. I like Tracktion because of its:

a ) unique system of bussing

b ) modular routing possibilities with "Racks" (a little space where you can connect your plug-ins to one another and to the inputs and outputs in any way you like)

c ) Intuitive workflow

d ) Intuitive workflow

Amplitube LE (sucks 4 its price)

sample tank (not bad).... LE (better save up)

RMIV (not realistic)

the rest...haven't tried, but with names like cheese machine....I might be a bit sceptic.

I don't use any of the above on a regular basis, though I've tried Amplitube LE and I use SampleTank LE (by the way, the one with Tracktion is SE, not LE, which is a big difference) for a drum library. RMIV is exactly as realistic as the way you program it. The difference between RMIV and something like Stylus is that Stylus is loop-based. A lot easier to get quick realistic-sounding results with Stylus, for sure, and it's a wonderful $400 tool (Yikes!), but that doesn't make the above information correct. RMIV will load multi-sampled drumkits and provides a decent bunch of MIDI loops to go with them. I feel that the results are realistic indeed, right out of the box (especially if you choose an acoustic kit instead of an electronic one, but that should go without saying), and even moreso when you realize that it's just a tool and not to be blamed when an end-user doesn't want to put the craftsmanship into the drum line.

As for Cheese Machine... it's a solina string ensemble emulator. Which are cheesy sounding. Hence the tongue-in-cheek name. It's considered a classic for what it does, but it's... well... cheesy. :D

Ok here are better alternatives for the above software:

Guitar Rig 2 or Amplitube 2 (better than LE) though line6 still do well

Spectrasonics Atmpsphere

Spectrasonics stylus RMX

Spectrasonics Triology

(All spectrasonics plugins are great with over 10GB of samples compared with sampletank's 250mb)

EDIT: oh yea propellerhead reason is swell too.

Guitar Rig 2... $300. Amplitube 2... $400-700

Atmosphere, Stylus, Trilogy. All $300, for a total of $900.

You're looking at anywhere from $300-$1600 extra. Of course they sound better than what's bundled.

But you're missing the big draws of Tracktion's plug-in suite which is the Mackie Dynamics bundle. These are programmed by a company called Acuma who were basically bought out by Mackie but retained-- their skills then added to the Tracktion coding team as dedicated plug-in builders. The Acuma plug-ins sold for $300 each though they were sold to a niche market (Mackie was making hardware that ran the plug-ins, so they were proprietary rather than VST). You get:

- Final Mix, which is comparable to Izotope Ozone, T-Racks, or Waves products

- 6 different compressors (really, 3, but with mono and stereo versions) with high quality and tolerances, beating even Waves for ability to compress without distorted artifacts

- A very nice EQ

- Spatial effects

- A filterbank

- de-esser

These are the REAL draw in terms of plug-ins, and yet you overlook them. :D

----

For the $150 of Tracktion, which includes all of the above (and since he's not pretending to be a "pro" he's not likely to get caught up in the hype of having all the "pro's" gear anyhow) you're getting a hell of a deal. Vs. $1,000+ that you're suggesting. :D

----

PS, Reason is a glorified drum machine for kiddies who want to make their own IDM or DnB. B)

Well, then i need help. Here is what i want to do:

1. Can record while listening to another track to make sure im on beat.

2. Can make a clean record and then add effects like distortion after its recorded.

3. Has a lot of effects.

4. Good quality

Thats about it. I know a lot are of software mentioned. I use PC, i prefer it. I know how to use a Mac, but PC's are just more versitile, but thats another discussion. Thanks for the help.

bump. i know it hasnt been long, but i want a software name soon. there are some sweet deals on laptops and im tempted to buy one instead of software (i need the software more). So can anyone tell me a program thats easy to use and has the 4 characteristics mentioned above. thanks. I dont have time to do research on all the names mentioned, so thats why. Post the name and ill talley and rate the posts (rate as in ill put some person i know is reliable on the forums a little more, so maybe 2 talley marks.) and ill take what i think is the best from referance as well as sounds good from research i will do.

Thanks so much. Feels good to be back, my parents wouldnt let me online that much over the school year, so now that its summer, im on again. i got a lot of catching up to do on a few topics.

Well, hope i get more replies.

Honestly, almost any program will work for you. I haven't much to add because Tracktion 2 will do exactly what you want. And you can STILL get Amplitube 2 or Guitar Rig 2 if that's what you really want to get. You're not forced to use Amplitube LE.

Many interfaces COME with good software. Many offerings from M-Audio come with ProTools LE, a very capable piece of software with its own native plug-ins to start off with. Others come with Cubase LE, ALSO very capable and also including a few bland and a few great plug-ins. Mackie's interfaces come with Tracktion 2 (NOT including the commercial software bundle, however... still including Mackie plugs and a huge selection of freeware which is more convenient than downloading it all yourself). I don't know about sound cards, but my keyboard came with Sonar LE, which is GREAT value for money.

The TonePort, however, comes with Live Lite, Line6 edition, which is absolutely horrible. I couldn't recommend Live Lite with good conscience.

In short:

1. Tracktion 2

2. Cubase LE

3. Sonar LE or one of Cakewalk's other offerings

4. Pro Tools M-Powered (not sure if it's actually called LE, now that I'm thinking about it)

They'll all do the trick. Other options are available if you're going to go the illegal download route, but I think that a decent recording package is worth paying for and running bug-free.

Greg