Writers Block

I write a lot of the material for our band and writers block can be a right pain in the ass.. but can also be a sign to take a break :D

When ever i get times where i can think of anything i go out, go for a walk or see some friends, let your brain get filled with lots of different things once again, then eventually you will get an idea again and then you can probs write a lot more :D

Hope that helps bro!

~~ TS ~~

Personally I start to play a different style of music then what im used to. It brings in fresh ideas and helps you move away from "I have to write a song that sounds like _______". It really works for me and it may work for you. Also (if you are) stop asorbing yourself in other peoples music sometimes it hinders more then it helps the writting process. I say stop thinking about writting and get into a new style of music and let you fingers take you where your going not your head.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

I try to get away from riffs and just come back to basic chord structure. On drums I get away from riff and fill and focus on the simple groove. I don't have much luck writing around riffs. It usually gets too disconnected. Force yourself to keep it simple and the grooves and structure will open up room for riffs and embelishment. Trying to study a new style that you would normally never practice will open a ton of new techniques (even if you think the style of music sucks). Taking a breather helps too. Different things work for different people.

Peace,Rich

The single greatest thing for getting over writers block is getting canned by your lady friend. I wrote 3 songs in a night after that and were using them in our upcoming EP. (note the link in my signature is dead, it will go to a site but it is not updated. i'll change it when the new site is built)

Thats just my opinion, i feel if you have something you want to talk about, or some feelings that you have that are realy strong the words just seem to come realy easy, then the music just follows.