Explain This...

Ok.. this has got me baffled...

I have a guitar with a floyd (which is a pain in the a$$ and not worth the hassle IMO)

I broke a string (Low E), it broke next to the bridge saddle

Then since there was plenty of excess still wound onto the tuner post, I just unlocked the bridge, removed the broken bit, then unlocked the nut, wound out a bit more of the string (enough to re-lock it at the bridge), Then tuned to pitch and relocked the nut. (hope that makes sense!)

Whats puzzling me is that I now have fretbuzz at the 7th fret on the low E... and I have no idea why.

Its worse than 'ordinary' fretbuzz too.. the string doesnt resonate or sustain at all, it just makes a dead sound.

The bridge was left at the same height as before, and to try to remedy it I tried raising it a little... no effect. I then tried raising it a lot... still no effect... :D:DB)

I tried playing with the fine tuners since they can affect the sadle height ever-so-slightly. Nothing.

I cant work this out! :D

Have you tried putting a new string on? I do the same thing all the time, I've never had a problem with buzz after doing so, but if the strings are old enough, I can see it happening. I would change the set of strings and then if that doesn't fix it look up and down the length of the low E string because it sounds like there is something rubbing up against it.

look up and down the length of the low E string because it sounds like there is something rubbing up against it.

Done that already, but I havent tried changing the string yet...

I dont have any spare strings here so I'll bring some over and try changing it.

It just seems strange to me that the same string that was fine a few minutes ago should buzz now- and buzz so badly...

Even if it fixes the problem, I'll still be curious...

Thanks

+1.

The locking nut is liklely to have kinked the string. That makes it near impossible to intonate and/or get buzz free action. A string which is new and good will be very consitant along it;s entire length, and when plucked it will describe a nice regular arc as it vibrates. Throw a kink into the equation, and that won;t happen anymore, so it's more likely to hit the frets and buzz.

In any problem like this, the first port of call should alwasy be a new string. If the problem persisits, second new string. After that, it's time to start scratching your head!

OK, Ill get the string switched this evening if I can.

Thanks everyone, I'll be back if its not solved after 2 new strings :D

Nah I was at my Mum's house and almost all my guitar-related stuff is at my Dads. I'd have switched the strings as soon as it broke if I had them handy- theyre quite old ones anyway. I just wanted to keep on playing though.

I'm pi$$ed off now BTW... I just brought the guitar over to my Dads, and I have some new strings ready to put on it...

But I forgot that stupid little alan key that you need to unlock the bridge and nut :D

Why cant someone design a locking nut that can be opened by hand?

I'll have to wait a day or so now until I can get my hands on the alan key.

Nah I was at my Mum's house and almost all my guitar-related stuff is at my Dads. I'd have switched the strings as soon as it broke if I had them handy- theyre quite old ones anyway. I just wanted to keep on playing though.

I'm pi$$ed off now BTW... I just brought the guitar over to my Dads, and I have some new strings ready to put on it...

But I forgot that stupid little alan key that you need to unlock the bridge and nut :D

Why cant someone design a locking nut that can be opened by hand?

I'll have to wait a day or so now until I can get my hands on the alan key.

Not only will a kink in the strings possible cause buzz, but it will cause the string to not intonate properly. I was doing a setup on a new guitar I had just finished building and when intonating I noticed that the little E string would never intonate. No matter how far I brought the saddle forward or back, it didn't help. It drove me crazy, I even replaced the saddle, etc. After it was all said and done, it turned out that the string had a kink in it, because of the way I had the saddles originally before I started intonating. That's why you want to start with each saddle slightly farther away from the neck, than will be needed to intonate. That way, any kink will be behind the saddle when you move the saddles toward the neck when intonating. If you start with the saddles shorter than the scale length, after you adjust for intonation and compensation, the kink will be between the saddle and nut creating all kinds of problems. Most of the time, when you get the guitar done to the point of setup, go ahead and change strings so you can get the intonation set correctly.

Now in your case your problem was caused from the locking nut, like Setch said. So, when you moved the string toward the bridge, the kink it left was moved until it was part of the string vibration path, which explains the problems your having. When your doing a setup with new strings, also remember to not tighten down the locking nuts until you have intonated properly.

Ok I have the alan key now, I brought it over from my Mum's. I'll change the strings in a few minutes.

I probably should get one of the headstock alan key holders :D

Turned out to be quite a few minutes :D

I've changed the strings- and guess what; the fretbuzz has disappeared B)

It really was that simple then.

Thanks everyone!

(BTW I re-lowered the bridge- I now have the action set at less than 0.9mm at the 24th fret- which is pretty damn low and it's almost 100% buzz free all over the fretboard! :D Maybe its because I used heavier gauge strings.)