Is There Any Way To Cover Up Maple Fretboards

So.. if I bought a pre-inlaid fretboard (maple) and took one part of the inlay out, Is there anything that can fill the spot and make it look good? like maybe cutting another chunk of maple and putting it in the slot, then glueing it in? would that maybe work?

Also, if theres a small dark spot in the maple... is it possible to bleach it or something to get it to go away? Such as the maple fretboard right here at the 13th fret

http://cgi.ebay.ca/IBANEZ-FINGERBOARD-TREE...oQQcmdZViewItem

Edited by NickCormier

You could put the inlay back in. :D

You could fill it in with some maple, but you will never get it to the point where it won't show. Same for the dark spots. Bleaching may lighten the spot but will lighten around it too, and likely will end up looking worse. And if it is a knot in the wood, it won't bleach out anyway. It really depends on how picky you are about the appearance, but the best thing you could do is to cover it with some other inlay that covers it up. You would be a lot better off if it were ebony or rosewood instead of maple.

Actually me and my friend figured out a way to do it =]

Since its only one fret I am going to replace, just cut off that one fret (first fret) and replace the whole fret entirely.. since u gotta have it split anyways for the fretwire, it should work.. I just gotta find someone to do it now, as my friend is not sure he wants to attempt it as its kinda hard.. Maybe ill ask somoene here in a new post hmm

• 2 weeks later...

Since its only one fret I am going to replace, just cut off that one fret (first fret) and replace the whole fret entirely.. since u gotta have it split anyways for the fretwire, it should work.. I just gotta find someone to do it now, as my friend is not sure he wants to attempt it as its kinda hard.. Maybe ill ask somoene here in a new post hmm

:D

:D

Edited by Maiden69

Please take note of the above replies if you like your guitar

and remember this if a ugly women can be a great lay

then an ugly guitar can be a great play

or this one maybe

john wayne bobbit's bonner worked better before

lorana tried to cut out the ugly vain that ran thru it lol

You know, you need not even add the first fret back on. You could then have a shorter scale guitar (check the distance between the current fret first from the nut and the current 13th fret, multiply that by two and it would be the new scale length). Alternatively, you could indeed cut off the first fret and glue a second piece off, but then you'd have to be incredibly careful to get the length right, and also get a nice grain match so that it doesn't look off.

Up to you, but maybe not for a first time, ey?