Flame Proof Cabinets?

This is kind of OT, so I don't know where to post it, but somewhat related to guitar building …

After asking my question about binding where it was recommended to me to try dissolving some binding in acetone, I did some searching online, and found a website of folks who put MP3 players in their cars - many of them fab new center consoles, or modifiy the ones they have by using a similar method of dissolving ABS in Acetone to make a plastic slurry for gap-filling. Another recommended solvent was MEK, which was said to work better. I have Acetone, but not MEK at the house.

Either way, if I'm going to be working with either for any length of time, I want to get a new mask, I can't find the one I usually where when working around solvents or finishes. Looking at the warnings on the bottles and containers for the various solvents and finishes and trying to determine which respirator/mask to buy, it occurs to me many more of the solvents and finishes and adhesives I have in the house are flammable. Granted, I don't have huge quantities of them, and they are all in the original containers, but it occurs to me that perhaps I should have a better storage solution for these.

Right now they are stored in the back of a closet with many of my other tools and building supplies, and removed from any sources of ignition. But I wonder, should I be looking into getting a flame proof cabinet? Do they sell small ones? (The only ones I've seen are the huge ones they store chemicals in at work.) Where would I get one? Am I being overly-cautious?

Right now the following labelled flammable/combustible/"keep away from flame and sparks" items are in the storage area:

6 spray cans

A 15 oz. container of that rubber handle-dip

A quart of contact cement (the less flammable type)

A quart of laquer sanding sealer

A small container of penetrating oil

A quart of thread cutting oil

A container of ferric chloride

A quart each of paint stripper, acetone and mineral spirits

A couple pints of oil-based stain.

In addition, there is wood, paper, plastics, a container of silica thickner, a few spice bottles of sawdust, things that are easily burnable on their own as well. I'm also uncertain about some of the other glues and adhesives in the closet. Is CA flammable? Epoxy? Latex and enamel paints?

Don't worry unless you have direct sources of ignition. Just watch your Danish oil rags and Bunsen burners dude. No direct sunlight, and you're about fine.

Look at your average hardware store and how they store the flammables :-) Not seen them explode much.

Don't worry unless you have direct sources of ignition. Just watch your Danish oil rags and Bunsen burners dude. No direct sunlight, and you're about fine.

Look at your average hardware store and how they store the flammables :-) Not seen them explode much.

Most average hardware stores keep the various chemicals for sale separated by the layout of the floor. At the one I worked at, we kept the flammable chemicals used by the store for maintenance in a fire-retardant cabinet.

It would be most advisable for you to find a cabinet of some sort that would be better at preventing a fire from spreading or occurring in the first place. I'd also suggest that you go through some of the stuff you're not using or that has gotten old and get rid of it responsibly.

Yeah, but they have automatic, over-head sprinkler systems. I don't!

It would be most advisable for you to find a cabinet of some sort that would be better at preventing a fire from spreading or occurring in the first place. I'd also suggest that you go through some of the stuff you're not using or that has gotten old and get rid of it responsibly.

Granted there's little to no chance of a fire starting where these items are located, unless any of them are prone to spontaneously combusting without outside sources of ignition. But I'm worried about a fire spreading to this area and things becoming worse. Is this likely to happen? I don't know - I'd like to think not, we've gone to efforts to keep as much of our house as safe as possible. The only place I can imagine a fire starting is in the kitchen, and it's far enough away I'd like to think that any fire (like the small one somehow started by the toaster years ago) would be extinguished before it got that far. But I just feel like this isn't particularly responsible of me. Which is why I'm looking for a cabinet for the things that I need to keep that are flammable, as you suggest.

But yes, I have started disposing of things I don't need. (My local recycling center has a hazardous chemicals drop-off, where I take my used PCB etchant and old paint regularly. I'm going through the cabinet and taking them the other stuff I don't need.)

Wouldn't a closed cabinet be fire-retardent? Being that fire cannot exist without oxygen.

Many flammable chemicals and gasses burn outside of the presence of air, as they function as a fuel source for the fire. Some types of celluloid type materials (like those used in very very old films) will actually continue to burn underwater. Most closed cabinets are not air-tight, and some chemicals will spontaneously combust if their tempature rises high enough. (Like oily rags sometimes do) But maybe you're right, maybe a small metal cabinet is enough, I don't know. I would assume there would be some sort of UL-rate one I could use. I don't know. I do know I can't get one of the 6 or 7 foot high ones they have here at work; although a giant yellow metal cabinet emblazoned with warnings might look really cool in the house; it wouldn't fit, and would be over kill for what I'd like to store in it. (After I've cleaned out what I don't need, a handful of cans and jugs of solvents and finishes that are flammable - I mean, it would probably fit in a milk crate or two.)

So I don't know. I don't know how flame retardent interior doors really are. It's all sealed in a closet. I'd imagine by the time a fire actually got into that closet to create a problem with those chemicals catching on fire, the house is basically already screwed. But I still worry a bit, and I'm uncertain if I'm being overly cautious or not. I guess in the end, from what people are saying, I'd like to pick up some sort of flame-retardant cabinet. If anyone knows if there are cabinets specifically rated for this, it would be nice to know.

What do you folks store your solvents and finishes and other flammable type stuff in?