Litchfield's Reynolds Wrap Glue-up Thread?

Man, I don't have enough clamps to do 3 glue-ups at once, so I figured I'd try Litchfields' Reynolds-Wrap glue-up trick, but I can't find it anywhere, anyone point me to a link-ey-pooy?

It's been a while since we've had some good and proper flamebait on the boards :D

ps. Just put some metal bars through the middle, and bolt them at the ends, that'll hold it good. Make sure they're at the top of the board, that way, you can rout them out when you're done! :D

Edited by Supernova9

I think that's one of the cool things about the 'wrap, that it's flexable and you can do arch tops with it as well.

But I could really use some of those tutorial pics of the 'wrap glue-ups for some clarification on some of the finer points I'm still uncertain about.

I think that's one of the cool things about the 'wrap, that it's flexable and you can do arch tops with it as well.

But I could really use some of those tutorial pics of the 'wrap glue-ups for some clarification on some of the finer points I'm still uncertain about.

Renolds wrap? (Aluminum foil). Do you mean plastic wrap? Probably best get the extra wide roll so you can seal it up nice and air tight (it will stay fresher) :D

Peace,Rich

Well, by now you've probably already come back from the store with an extra set of clamps...but I was thinking if you had any of those luggage straps, you know for suitcases --they lock down pretty tight. A couple of those with some wood blocks to spread out the pressure, you'd think that would work better than plastic wrap (I'm trying to see how that might work and I just can't).

For laminating a top, I prefer to soak it and myself with Steel Reserve high gravity beer. If you have not seen this product and you are of the appropriate age, I recommend it. The extra gravity makes the wood so heavy it needs no clamps or any other culinary supplies. Well, maybe a bag of pretzels. :D

For laminating a top, I prefer to soak it and myself with Steel Reserve high gravity beer. If you have not seen this product and you are of the appropriate age, I recommend it. The extra gravity makes the wood so heavy it needs no clamps or any other culinary supplies. Well, maybe a bag of pretzels. :D

You know, just when the smell finally dies down and the last of the maggots fly away, someone has to start beating the 'ol Litchfield horse again.

"Carly Simon may have written 'You're So Vain' about James Taylor, but James Taylor wrote 'A Horse With No Name' about Carly Simon."

here ya go:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...97&hl=saran

unfortunately, the picture links dont work anymore. Drak, i tried the saran thing before pwning jeff, it doesnt work. My comments in the thread still stand.

That thread was when it all got laid out on the table for Jeff if i recall correctly (i havent read it yet).

and for the newb's, bring yourself up to speed:

http://litchfieldguitars.tripod.com/home/index.html

A Horse With No Name

Written by Dewey Bunnell, ©1971

But I guess you weren't alive then.

Yeah, I knew that it was recorded by America and not JT, but I heard the joke the other night on "I Love the '70s" and laughed my ass off for about five minutes. I mean, Carly DOES look kind of horsey :D

And it kind of fit the beating the dead rotting horse thing. Sorta.

I agree the saran wrap application is a bit "out there". But I've seen fibreglassers make laminated components for boats with plastic and a vaccuum system. Its called "vaccuum infusion moulding" and basically sucks the resins into the fibreglass fibres.

http://www.parkislemarine.com/pdf/infusion.pdf

If you had the right equipment it could be used to attain even pressure over a veneered top or something similar. But you couldn't use glue that cures by evaporation. It would have to be a chemical curing process, like epoxy.

Edited by Southpa

He's gone and hopefully living a better life somewhere else.