A Les Paul Supreme Style For My Son

Here are a couple of pics before and after I drop filled the dent. The lacquer shrinks back a lot as it drys, so I'll check it tomorrow and see where it is. It clearly will need more lacquer. I must say that from the initial efforts I am encouraged that I may be able to salvage the finish thanks to help from the folks on this forum (again).

Boy, this guitar has been a trial. I took up this "sport" to help me be more patient. I'll let you know whether it is working or not as this guitar may yet turn out to be firewood. The subtitle to this thread is "it remains to be seen" for a reason.

I gave my son the good news, bad news a while ago. Good news was that most of the guitar was really shiny. Bad news was that I screwed up really badly through carelessness. He was very good and encouraged me not to hurry, even though I could tell he was a bit disappointed.

I'll persist because I am old and stubborn. :D

th_ding2.jpg dent before drop fill

th_ding3.jpg dent after light steaming and initial drop fill

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, clearly I'm no expert on this. Dan Erlewine's book describes using the same drop fill method for poly but using CA glue to fill instead of nitro.

I just put another drop of nitro on the Paul. This stuff really shrinks back - goes as a reminder how much of this stuff is solids and how much is solvent.

I put another drop of nitro into the ding on Tuesday. I think that's the last drop as I have a nice raised area where the ding was. Now, I'll let it cure for a while and then come back to level and polish and see how it looks. I'm optimistic. :D

While I'm waiting, I decided to dry fit the hardware on the body. The pickups are Seymour Duncans with gold covers. The bridge and tailpiece are gold TonePros. The two speed knobs seem to disappear, but I kind of like them. They look better than the two gold tophats. The fretwire is gold also.

Excuse the fingerprints all over everything, and this isn't the greatest picture.

th_ding4.jpg

Awesome! :D:D

wow, that's pretty! I'm not a fan of gold hardware but I couldn't imagine anything else looking that good on there.

Is the burst really that heavy at the edges or is the camera making the transition look like that? It doesn't look bad, just a shame to cover that lovely flame with black.

The thing is, there is no flame there, he sanded through to the mahogany! :D

:D Its true.

The burst at the edges is almost opaque due to the aforementioned cosmetic issue. Up close and personal, it doesn't look as dark as that last photo, and it is brown and not black. I need to find a way to take a better photo. This one was taken inside with the flash, and it made things look really dark.

I honestly think you took a bad situation and made it into one of the best transition bursts I've ever seen. Although it wasn't the color you hoped to use, I sure hope you're still proud of the work you did. Bravo to mistakes that lead to great successes.

Thanks! :D

• 2 weeks later...

After letting the lacquer drop fill cure for several weeks - three I think but it seems more, I decided to tackle it today.

I found a tutorial on Frank Ford's site (Frets.com). Following that, I made a mini scraper using a single sided razor blade and turning a slight hook on the edge by running it against a screwdriver shaft. Then I put a piece of cellophane tape over each corner leaving the middle exposed. It made a really neat scraper that leveled the drop fill down to the thickness of the tape. After that, I wet sanded with 2000 grit, then buffed with compound and then swirl polish.

It came out pretty good. Its not invisible - I can find it with no problem - but its pretty good.

Now on to hardware - finally.

th_ding5.jpg Shaving the lacquer drop fill using a mini scraper

th_ding6.jpg After sanding, buffing and polishing

Thanks guys.

Today I did the fret leveling, recrowning, etc. I also installed some of the hardware such as strap locks, jack plate, pickup rings and so on. Tomorrow, I hope to complete the hardware and install the electronics, fit the nut and begin the setup process.

The other day, I bought a case for the guitar. Its a Gator case, made for Les Pauls, so it fit great on the guitar. I like the case.

Heres a pic. The flash makes the edge look black and the rest look lighter than it is. "In person", the edge looks more dark brown and the rest more warm. Oh well, my photography skills are no better than my luthiery skills.

th_final1.jpg

Its turned out awesome, but we need more photos!

Thanks guys.

Biliousfrog, I am attached to the guitar but basically as a project. But since I don't play and my son does, its easy for me to give it to him because that is the only way I can hear it and I know he will use it everyday.

Ben, more photos soon - when I finish it. I'll try to get some that show it as brown rather than black - maybe outside.

In the meantime, here is a quick pic of my son with the guitar. He and his wife came in for a couple of days for Christmas. I'm not finished with it - still chasing an electronics problem (faulty pot I think). Also, I put in a plastic pre-slotted nut just so I could string it up and test the electronics and so he could play it a bit. When they leave, I'll sort out the electronics, make and fit a proper bone nut and then set it up.

Anyway, he was very happy. He loved the overall look, loved the feel of the neck (good thing, huh? :D ) and he really liked the pickups especially the SD Pearly Gates in the neck.

The thing that made it all worthwhile for me, besides listening to him play it, was something he said. He said the guitar was one of those guitars that if he saw it for sale in a shop, he would keep walking because he would know that there was no way that he could afford it or hope to own it.

:D

th_player1.jpg

Edited by johnsilver