Hi Everyone!

Just thought I'd introduce myself. My real name is Sascha (male) I'm 29 and from Brisbane (OZ) and looking forward to starting my first guitar. I've been reading heaps of posts and looking at lots of photos and I'm impressed by the stuff that I see here, especially the les paul guitar of the month. I was just wondering how some of these guitars compare in sound and feel to some of the really top notch pricey ones that you can buy. Is there some sort of secret that companies like gibson and so on have or is a top quality, awesome guitar within reach of the average guy who's willing to spend the time and money to do it?

Anyway catch yuz later

By the way I know my name is kraut and I'm from Australia, thats coz I was born in the fatherland :D

:D

Welcome aboard, Kraut!

General advice seems to be-- there's no point doing it to save money, because it's a very expensive hobby. Do it because you're really interested in giving 'er a go. :D

Even if you still need to buy tools, you'll be able to make a beautiful guitar for cheaper than some of the truly expensive customs... but it won't be "cheap" to do it. In many cases your first guitar won't be as playable as a $300 import, though there are plenty of stories to the contrary. But with patience, subsequent guitars (and as I said, sometimes even your first one) can be better than a lot of the factory-made guitars like those by Gibson. Our forum boasts members whose work makes the well-known factory-made guitars look mediocre by comparison.

Point being: if you really just want a guitar, save up for it. If you want to BUILD a guitar, you're in the right place. :D

Greg

Hey Kraut-man! thanks for signing on. With a name like mine, you know where my family hails from too...

Like Greg said, you will find an enormous amount af talent here. My advice for your first build? Read all you can (books as well as the internet sites), plan ahead (way ahead), and take our time. Even if you have woodworking skills, this will take some time.