Flying V Body Blank

Hello again everyone, I need help. For my first build I was hoping to make a simple flying v. I went to a guitar store and traced around a gibson v so I have the correct dimensions. But all the body blanks I can find online are too small (about 14"x20"). How do people make large guitars like these or explorers when the blanks are too small? Is there anywhere to buy large blanks? I thought about cutting out the blank and gluing scraps to the ends for the wings, so I tried it out on paper, but didn't have much luck. Is there a specific way to cut/glue to make it the right size? I've searched a lot and can't find anything to help. Thanks in advance.

You won't find many blanks large enough to give you a one-piece V or explorer - it's hard enough to find them for "normal" size guitars. Instead of gluing on wings, you'll want to glue two blanks together, with the joint running down the center line of the guitar. It's common practice.

We do custom blanks and surprised you did not find us with a search - email us with your dimensions and wood type.

Actually I found you in the searches. I read that you do custom blanks but I assumed that meant only an inch or so difference. I think I measured it at around 17"x 22" so anything that size or bigger would be nice. When I have enough money to actually start my project I'll email you to see if I can work something out (sorry for asking now when I can't even order anything :D ). Thanks for the help though. :D

We recently built and sold an Alder blank that was 14x34 for carving, another at 17x20 for an axe bass.

Really? Sounds like a plan for when I start. :D Approximately how much extra would it cost for an alder blank this large? (Or should I talk about prices through email?) When I have money I'll be sure to visit your site. :D Thanks again.

Anyone can email us from the site.

We also do figured tops and or backs (caps) in flame or quitled maple and most any other tonewood.

Another way to save wood is to have the grain running parallel to the outside edges of the wings. That way you have the length from the wing tips to the heel and a whole lot less wasted wood. Look at the Gibson 59 Flying V's to see what I am talking about.

MzI

Another way to save wood is to have the grain running parallel to the outside edges of the wings. That way you have the length from the wing tips to the heel and a whole lot less wasted wood. Look at the Gibson 59 Flying V's to see what I am talking about.

MzI

While this does save wood, the extra work in joining the wood at an angle does not save any cost.

Hello again everyone, I need help. For my first build I was hoping to make a simple flying v. I went to a guitar store and traced around a gibson v so I have the correct dimensions. But all the body blanks I can find online are too small (about 14"x20"). How do people make large guitars like these or explorers when the blanks are too small? Is there anywhere to buy large blanks? I thought about cutting out the blank and gluing scraps to the ends for the wings, so I tried it out on paper, but didn't have much luck. Is there a specific way to cut/glue to make it the right size? I've searched a lot and can't find anything to help. Thanks in advance.

I have an extra flying V blank I'd like to get rid of. It is full size with the grain running straight (parrallel to the strings). It is made of select Honduran Mahogany.

The V shape is cut and that's it. There's enough wood for it to be setup for a bolt on or set neck. It just needs a little filler on the back (unless you route for a trem).

• 1 month later...

How about this?

gibsonVcuttingguide.jpg

This method is FAR less wasteful of blanks, plus I think youll find you can get blanks of this size far easier than the huge 1 piece you were looking for above. Blanks this size are cheaper as well. You may even be able to get offcut boards this size from a sawmill/joinery for next to nothing.

I scaled this drawing up to 24" x 10 ", which is a dimension ratio of 2.24(length) to 1(width). adjust it for the accurate dimensions.