Ebony Through Neck

I recently found a long piece of ebony for very cheap and I am planing a on making a guitar with a through neck with it. Should I get a truss rod for it, or is the ebony enough. I use light strings so there wont be that much force pulling it. I just dont want to have to go throuhg all the troble of chiseling out the long slot.

Vincent

Ebony may be hard and heavy but its also very brittle. It chips and can actually shatter under the right stresses. Making an entire neck would be a very slow process with much sharpening and replacing of blades in between. Its also a very messy process, dust gets everywhere. Turning it into FB blanks would be the way to go.

I sure would like some of this for a fretboard. :D

Edited by Southpa

You'll still need a truss rod to get the best action, though with ebony in the neck it will probably never again need to be tweeked.

Playing wear and changes in temperature and humidity can cause all woods to change their reaction to string pull, so yeah...go with a truss rod. With careful planning and execution, you can cut the slot using a table saw. Forget the chisel.

Thanks for your opinon ill get the truss rod. It is Macassar Ebony and i got it for a good deal like 15$. The reason why im not making fingerboards out of it is becasue wont be making any guitars for a while probably, because my really mom wants me to make a highboy for the house, and school is starting.

Thanks,

Vincent

Edited by Vince D

Thanks for your opinon ill get the truss rod. It is Macassar Ebony and i got it for a good deal like 15$. The reason why im not making fingerboards out of it is becasue wont be making any guitars for a while probably, because my really mom wants me to make a highboy for the house, and school is starting.

Thanks,

Vincent

Macassar should make a great neck. It is much more workable than African Ebony. I would really like to hear back on how it works out for you. Keep us posted.

Peace,Rich

id suggest a truss rod; ebony IS hard as steel, and if its bone dry prolly would never move; but everyone knows how long ebony takes to dry; its ok to use it prematurely on thin(ner) sections like fingerboards because the neck will stop any warp that could happen to it; but as a main structure you could have problems as soon as the humidity changes