New Build On It's Way And It's A Tele!

After building my own custom last year but using a bought neck, I've decided it's time to do my own.

Just to make things easy on myself, I've gone for a well known shape and bought templates off Simo so it'll be about concentrating on build quality rather than a new design.

So.. a Telecaster it is. I have some mahogany and ash for the body (ash centre with mahigany wings) and a 5mm quilted top is on it's way. There's maple for the neck and a sexy bubinga fretboard.

So now, choices on finish. I'd like something transparent all over and was just thinking os a good old sealer and Briwax but that quilted top needs something more - Any ideas?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the old one - never put pics up of it finished as it still isn't! Just needs the control plate wiring up and fixing - I'll sort that this week but I'v been playing it straight out to the jack socket from the pickup for now.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...1&hl=custom

I was thinking of some sort of grain pop but my main thing now is the fact that the timber the body is made from (the ash and mahogany) are really nice looking and I'd like to keep them natural but the maple cap has an amazing quilt and I'd like to stain it - the cap is 5mm thick and I'd like to have the edge of that not look too out of place.

Never tried a binding before and not sure how well i would get on with a fauz binding so I was thinking a burst but then i don't want to lose the figure...

catch 22 eh? Dunno just want some more ideas to play with I suppose.

I'm finishing off a chambered mahogany tele at the moment with a nice flame maple top (first real build).

I stained (solvent-based) the maple dark oak after sanding flat, then sanded back and added a bit of deep red mahogany stain, rubbing off some of the colour depth in the middle of the body afterwards.

This wasthen rubbed with a lot of thin coats of tru-oil to slowly build up a sheen, not a mirror gloss. It's starting to look really sweet and should be finished soon. The combination of stains and the tru-oil have really given the maple flame a great look. It's posted on this sub-forum if you're interested.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=24810

http://www.niw-files.com/alheeley/music/woody8.jpg

Edited by al heeley

I like the guitar Al but I'm not a brown fan unless it's the original colour of the timber.

You gave me an idea though which is to stain the whole guitar brown and sand back then stain the front in a yellowy/brown more of an ochre colour then try the shellac satin finish.

I agree setch that you can get a great effect under satin and I am pretty sure I don't want to gloss this one.

Have i heard the phrase 'tiger eye' some where? i'll go do a search....

Like this:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?Produc...;CollectionID=6

Thats done purely with black sanded back and yellow on top. Personally i think it looks pretty horrible.

The proper gibson is a bit better:

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products...y/JoePerry.html

But i feel that too much black will deaden the 3d effect of the flame. Ok it will make the flame stand out more but it will lose its shimmer

Tru Oil! I second Setch's recommendation, it does a really nice job on flamed maple all by itself and keeps that shimmer, and it is very easy to apply. You will see the pores on the ash and mahogany, but the maple should be nice and tight, and you can buff it to *almost* the same sheen as nitro or poly.

I've looked for tru oil before and never been able to find it around here.

Anyone know where i can get that and naptha in the UK?

How would tru oil work over a stain? Will it pull it out at all when I wipe? Is shellac ok as the first coat to protect the stain?

The brown and orange Tiger eye idea is really coming to be the most attractive toi me at the minute.

I've looked for tru oil before and never been able to find it around here.

Anyone know where i can get that and naptha in the UK?

How would tru oil work over a stain? Will it pull it out at all when I wipe? Is shellac ok as the first coat to protect the stain?

Google UK search gives a few different UK outlets for Tru-oil. It's a nice easy finish. You can also search ebay shops for it. Most places selling it are gunsmiths and hunting/fishing type shops. I always have to buy mine over the internet like this.

It will bring out a bit of the stain but you're rubbing it back in again.

Naptha = Ronsons lighter fluid- fuel for Zippo's, etc.

I worked a mock up of the guitar shape over the top and it's just too blooming gorgeous for any sort of stain - Tru Oil only is a very big possibility! What sort of volume of Tru-oil is a body going to need? Is the small bottle enough?

TeleFlametop.jpg

Edited by chunkielad

Yep that will do fine. You build it up in very thin layers and rub it in well. Fine Steel wool is good for getting it into the grain. If you rub it in with a soft cloth you'll get thru a lot more oil as the cloth will take off 90% of what you put on. Don't be tempted to put too thick a coat on in one go.