Anyone Know About Jay Tursers?

They are tolerable cheap copies that are made by peasants in French Indochina. They're what people frequently call "surprisingly good," meaning "I thought this would be unplayable but it's pretty darn OK." I would put them in the same class as that Rondo stuff--which ain't bad. Worth every cent of seventy five bucks for sure if it looks nice.

Edit: And I should mention that I've never owned one so I don't know if I can call my experience extended. I have a creaping feeling though, that you will end up replacing the pots after a while but it will otherwise be pretty solid considering.

Edited by Logical Frank

i've got a friend/customer that has been a professional touring musician for years. last year he bought his first jay turser..a les paul copy i believe..and absolutely loved it. over the years he's had a couple of "good" guitars either stolen in europe or damaged on a flight. his logic was that the turser sounded good and wouldn't bankrupt him if it was lost or stolen.

last week he came in with a new one..a large hollow bodied arch top with double humbuckers. i have to say that it was a good looking guitar. surprisingly well built and after i set it up played like a dream and sounded very nice.

i'd say that for seventy five bucks you can't go wrong.

75 bucks for a decent copy is reasonable. Electronics are going to be dodgy, but you can upgrade those later.

O i guess I should add, I own a turser tele and My pa in law has one as well, no qualms with the playability, the electronics was our only complaint.

Edited by wylde1919

I've played a few and liked them quite a bit. Worth every penny to be sure, since they cost about 80 bucks at the local shop. Electronics are not too hot, but a trip to guitarfetish can remedy that quick and cheap.

i went ahead and bought it. this thing weighs a ton. but i gotta say, this thing is pretty damned impressive.

the action was great, the neck straight and lo and behold, the front pickup tone pot is useless. think ill try guitar fetish, as i have a little scratch left from my guitar funds. the only flaw i found was the typical belt buckle scratches and some glue that had oozed out at the neck joint. if this guitar has any stamina, i may look into that tele copy mentioned earlier. this thing is detailed EXACTLY like a lp standard.

I recently got their SG copy at Sam Ash for like $170. I really like it for the price. Great for a fun easy fix it up project. Passable as it is. The pickups and pots aren't going to be in there forever, but in all honesty they are fine for most uses assuming you aren't taking it into the studio in the near future. I'd like to see some pics of the LP you picked up.

You know--this thread got me thinkin'... We really live in a golden age of cheap guitars. For a hundred bucks you can pick up a decent piece of guitar-shaped timber, replace the pots, maybe the pickups, the bridge and tuners if you're crazy about it, and get yourself a pretty mean piece of rock that stays in tune like a mother and sounds just as good as anything. You really can't complain about that. I was at Guitar Center trying stuff out and it's really remarkable how similar the the two-hundred dollar guitars and the eight-hundred dollar guitars sound.

My wife couldn't shift them out of her shop. Nasty cheap things. I guess if you can't afford a better guitar, or you're a beginner then fine. Repair techs and shops find it cheaper to write these guitars off when they're faulty as opposed to repairing them.

Compare them to the utilitarian throwaway boots you go sploshing in the mud around at paintball as opposed to the kickass worn-in love 'em boots you wear onstage, or the sweet comfy shoes you wear in the studio.

Like hessian underwear. Not silk boxers. A fat sweaty chick with bad breath and an annoying whiney voice as opposed to...I could go on...