Aussie Tone Woods

hey guys im new here

im in the planning stages at the moment to start making a custom 7 string guitar, im currenty adding to my weapons cache (power tools) before i start, trying to bargain my mates dad into selling he's band saw and drill press that he hasnt used in like 10 years and i aquired a new bocsh router today from bunnings......

any way beeing a proud aussie i was thinking about making the guitar out of queensland maple as ive heard its very "mahogany like" weight and tone wise but ive looked around and apparently its kind of a rarity at the moment well according to forestry qld's info

belman and maton both use it in few of thier guitars, is it easy obtainable? is the price over the top or resonable? i havnt checked my local timber yards (lucky thiers a fair few round nsw's midnorth coast) just want to check with you guys if you know the availabilty of qld maple and what slab sizes to expect

has any body use qld maple or any other aussie tone woods in a solid body?

cheers, wade. :D

that make sense?

Welcome to the forum UNIT.

Have you tried a search through previous posts?

Can't help you with the Qld maple as I'm in Victoria and can't find any merch joints that stock it.

(btw I've got an acoustic em325 LH Maton and a Mastersound 200dlx LH in Qld maple with tas oak flame top.) It's healthy to be patriotic. :D

Can you get blackwood close to you. That is definitely worth a look at. :D

Seeya,

Stu

Welcome Unit

Check out Woodworld, they're located at Labrador near the Gold Coast, Qld

I have been to their place and they have a pretty good range of timbers

They have heaps of aussie stuff as well as a fair selection from overseas

clicky

P.S. Good luck with the bandsaw and drillpress

dayvo :D

Hey UNIT. Good to see someone from the Mid North COast on here. I am originally from Port Macquarie, so I knwo the area weel. Man I miss the coast. I used to get a lot of stuff from David Hayes who owned Hastings sand and gravel. He had all sorts of stuff from all over the world, ebony, zebrano, brazillian mahogany etc. I know they shut down a few years ago but it may be worth ringing them up to see if he stills sells timber.

As for Australian wood, I am a big fan of silky oak. It looks nice, is easy to work and there is plenty of it. Woodworld is a good source but there are others as well. I just get mine from teh local woodturners club. I just got 2 slabs about 5inches thick, over a metre long and about 400-500mm wide. $20 BARGAIN

Luke

Welcome Unit

Check out Woodworld, they're located at Labrador near the Gold Coast, Qld

I have been to their place and they have a pretty good range of timbers

They have heaps of aussie stuff as well as a fair selection from overseas

Have you been there Dayvo?? Next time you're there pass by my place I'm 30 minutes away :D

I buy my wood at Lazarides in Banyo (Brisbane metro) best place I've found yet, Woodworld is too expensive from what I bought there yet. Lazarides let's you look at the wood as long as you want as long as you buy at least a whole plank, they won't cut wood. Although sometimes they'll make an exception. They adverstise in "australian wood review" if you read it.