Flame Koa/ash Telecaster

First of all, I'd like to thank Ronny for supplying the template for this build and Patrick in Hawaii for scoring me some AWESOME Koa for next to nothing.

The build idea behind this Tele is classy wood on a hot bluesy Tele. Two-piece ash body, bookmatched Koa leaves front and back. Headstock veneered with Koa, and with ebony veneer on the rear. All hardware to be gold, specifically a six-saddle Strat-style hardtail, Gotoh M6s, bar string retainer, "side dot" pearl inlays and no pickguards or control plates. Body is bound back and front. Sides finished black with binding scraped back. The neck will be bolt-on for nostalgia :-) Not sure of the pickups as of yet. Open to suggestion.

Apologies for not documenting the build from beginning to end, but I'd a woodworker not a doctor damnit!/bones>

Koa is very soft it seems, and a bugger to take scratches out of, but easy to install new ones! Has anybody got good tips or pointers on the best way to grainfill and clearcoat Koa? Using search is all well and good, but when you have something in front of you that you *really* don't want to screw up by missing some important bit of information, you want to double check....

A few number of these images have been gamma'ed down to highlight the flame figure in the Koa.

koa_tele8.jpg

PICTURE 1

PICTURE 2

PICTURE 3

PICTURE 4

PICTURE 5

PICTURE 6

PICTURE 7

PICTURE 9

PICTURE 10

PICTURE 11

PICTURE 12

Edited by Prostheta

what travis said :D

Nice! That guitar is exactly too my tastes--really nice wood w/ some subtle, classy touches. And it's a tele! (Bolt neck, yay!) I'm not big on gold hardware specifically but I think you'll pull it off well here.

I really want to put some Rio Grande's in my baritone tele once I get the neck from warmoth--specifically a Dirty Harry in the bridge and a Muy Grande in the neck--but haven't tried them yet so can't say anything. If you hadn't have started it yet, I would have suggested to rout it for some G&L Magnetic Fields pickups like in ASAT specials (if you can even buy those to put in other guitars). They're my favorite pickups in any guitar I've played.

Edited by Logical Frank

Thanks everyone. I'm a bit panicky about doing something wrong on this one, but it's all coming out nicely. It's a bit late for P90s, but hey - there's always plenty more Tele's in the sea :-)

I'm still malleable on the choice of bridge in that I might still fit a Tele-style bucker bridge as opposed to small Strat-style hardtail.

Any opinions on whether I should go for Schaller mini-locking tuners with ebony pegs? I think it would tie up the headstock nicely.

Headstock veneer came out pretty nice!

Thanks! It was hairy business trying to bend 1/16" thick Koa up that curve....!! I'm going to shape some kind of ebony cover for the truss rod at some point and engrave it. I can't bring myself to inlay or cover that Koa in any way....

I'll go with the ebony pegs if I can get some for the tuners I'm using....