Texan - My First Build..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's where we are.

The body was shaped, first with a bandsaw and then for a few HOURS by hand with a block sander. I drew the neck profile on the wood and had a basic cut out for the pickguard area.

I went back out to the shop this weekend with a few more tools in hand plus a box of stuff from stew mac..

goodies.jpg

No real use for anything yet, except for the fingerboard to calculate distance, and the truss rod for the channel.

but it looks like I got purchase happy and just saw “fender standard” and bought the one with the bolt on the pocket side instead of the headstock side. I don’t know if I could get it to work so I’m probably getting another one.

Now I totally did everything in the wrong order, and now I completely know the error of my ways. I can totally see why peoples first guitars aren’t the ones that shine. although I can get this to look pretty nice as a finished.

I should of routed the neck pocket, pickup cavities, and trem pocket before doing anything else. then routed my pickguard pocket.

Not what I did.

First I rounded off the edges using a ¼” roundover and a table router.

roundover.jpg

Then I routed out the pocket for the inset pickguard cavity. at some points I realized I had routed out the base that the router mounts on, and you can see my slip

pocket1.jpg

I then spent about an hour shaping the pickguard to fit in the slot I created. All the while I should of done the complete opposite, and made the guard perfect, then routed the pocket so it would fit.

hindsight, 20-20, and all that.

puzzle2.jpg

I then cut out she shape of the neck based on the fingerboard and my estimate of the taper

neck1.jpg

I got pretty damn close to the line with the bandsaw and I can see that biting me later(as I block sand, I may go over the “finished” line. )

I then decided that the pickguard needed to be cut so I could remove a portion and keep that flush appeal and not need pickup rings to cover the route hole.

once again I should of thought all the way through, because I removed portions that are going to be edged in pearl. No matter, I think I have a solution. But that’s later.

cutguard.jpg

and here's the two edges being glued up.

9_24.jpg

Ouch, sorry to hear about your slip-ups, mate :D Depending on where it is on your body, as well as what finish you use, the minor mistakes can sometimes be fixed with wood fill/Bondo. On my Explorer (first build :D trying to make it "shine" as much as possible, given the circumstances) the beveled tip on the rear horn chipped pretty bad. I filled it in with wood filler, because I'm going to be painting it black. It'd look pretty funny if I stained it, hahaha.

Reason I say this is that I also fixed some irregularities where I had my own router problems, pickup pockets in particular. I can't rightly see all that well where you messed up on the pickguard route, but it's an option to keep in mind, if the damage is that severe, minding that you're going to be painting the body.

Best of luck, as always!

its 3 pieces, I decided I didnt want pickup rings to take up space, and decided to cut a acess pannel. I think the finish will close the gap of the blade but im happy with it.

Next time I do it, im making the whole inset piece removable, problem is this time it was 3/8 and I needed it to be a 1/4. So I inset it and spent forever sanding it flush. I should of just started at 1/4 and went from there.

also I should of waited untill I got the bridge to make the cut, now it wont be even.. but oh well.. its my first, I allready bought the wood for my next one.

arrg.. so a bit of bad news.. I routed the truss rod channel, glued the fretboard and was looking pretty sweet.. only problem is the neck I made isnt wide enough. i didnt take into accound sanding the fretboard and the neck to make them even, and as such have taken a bit out of the playing area.. Ive been thinking about it alot, and I think Im just going to make a new neck..

sucks becuase I jacked that $30 fretboard..

but a learning lesson none the less.

Ugh, sorry to hear, man.... Is it anything binding could fix? It's not a ton of space, but I dunno, it's what came to mind. Or some thin wood laminate on each side? It'd look pretty cool, in my opinion, having like, skunk stripes not down the middle, but on the edges of the neck.

Got any pics of it?

2 Texan's

ones with swamp ash and maple "pickguard" while the second will be mahogony and a zebra wood "pickguard"

Im still using ebony for the neck of the swamp ash one, but I was going to use zebra for the mahogony, after it came out so nice I didnt want to screw it up like that..

im thinking just rosewood..

padauk

pa-duke

cool stuff.. whole board cost me $10 from http://www.northwestlumberco.com/

they ship within the states.. but they are 20 mins from my work.

the mahogony body blanks are 45 for that large piece and they have almost every exotic wood Id look for..

excluding quilted maple and swamp ash

but the flamed maple they have there is the piece I was using for the neck, if you look on the first pages of this thread you can see it.

• 5 weeks later...

ok, So ive been paying off bills and whatnot getting ready to move.. but I decided to finish these two before then

im missing a few pickups, a neck mounting plate, and for some reason guitar fetish didnt send me two of the nuts for my wilkinson tuners.

Some parts Ill get from there again.

some I WONT.

mess.jpg

crazy to think that after all the wood, tools, sandpaper, hardware, pickups, etc I could of bought the guitar of my dreams.. oh well..

Edited by Desopolis

true..

it all started when I hot rodded my strat, and took apart a BC rich..

whats funny is now I look at all the guitars I wanted and I rate them totaly different.

less of OH COOL ITS BLACK!

more of,

wow, look at how the binding of the neck blends with the body.

check out the figure in that middle lam.

I wonder if the middle pickup is put in series or parallel in the middle POS.

• 1 year later...

soo, as I left Texas, i put my stuff in a crate while awaiting me to get it all shipped... The box has been thrown away..

Everything in this thread is gone... all the tools, all the lumber, all the guitar parts.. everything..

ive bought many tools and started alot of other projects.. but it hurts..