Newb Question

Regular == 1-15/16 in. E to E spacing

F-space == 2 in. E to E spacing

My Les Paul Classic has 2 in. E to E spacing and used an F-spaced 500t stock. Now it has a regular spaced PAF humbucker and there's no dropout on the high-E. It really doesn't make that much of a sound difference, just appearance wise it can look funny.

Dimarzio uses the F spaced and standard spaced terms which are spaced as follows:

F Spacing 51mm

Standard 48mm

Some pickups use a single spacing for example, aftermarket Gibson 57 Humbuckers are in the middle at 49.5mm. PRS also uses spacing that is in the middle on their aftermarket pickups.

Sort of amazing how much that 1/16th of an inch can bother some people.

Actually, I was wrong. It's 1-7/8 for regular spacing. Yeah, a difference of 1/16 on either side really doesn't make that big of a difference for most people. I suppose if you're running .08 E strings you're trying to get as much gain as you can, but it's really so silly, IMHO.

If you look at the thread for the SD Black Backs I just bought there's a great example! Essentailly, thrembucker/f-spaced (same thing, different company) say that for a bridge pickup to be f-spaced you should have the bridge spacing like they said above. For the NECK pickup to be f-spaced the NUT should be 1 11/16 wide +

Chris