Skelf Guitar Build

cb06

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi just to give an update, i got pretty much all of the sanding done today so im quite happy about that. the tuners and the pickups have been ordered so they should arrive soon, so ill have plenty to do. there will be more progress pics up soon!

chris

thanks very much palecriminal. :D hoping to get the guitar finished before christmas so there will be more pictures getting posted soon.

I'm curious, how much of the work was done with big machines, and how much with hand tools? Did you use a big-a** band saw for the basic shape? I'm thinking about building my own guitar myself, and I'd like to know what types of tools to which I'll need to gain access. Obviously mom's jigsaw won't do everything I need to do. Did you go from zero to building a body from scratch all at once, or did you experiment with assembling parts guitars first and then work up? I thought I'd get store bought parts first and build one that way. The work these guys (yerself included) produce here is really cool. I'm not thinking of starting my own company or anything like that, but I'm interested in the whole process of going from being a player to building necks and stuff yourself. I'm just a college-loan away from getting started (hee hee). :D

Edited by palecriminal

hmm....well i could try answering this question but i would probably give the wrong answers :D wats happening is that a good friend is helping me make this guitar, so it is my first time, so he is showing me what to do etc.. he has a website ....www.acguitars.co.uk

ill get him to post the answer on this page so he can answer your question properly!! his username is Skelf. so look out for his post.

chris

thanks very much palecriminal. :D hoping to get the guitar finished before christmas so there will be more pictures getting posted soon.

I'm curious, how much of the work was done with big machines, and how much with hand tools? Did you use a big-a** band saw for the basic shape? I'm thinking about building my own guitar myself, and I'd like to know what types of tools to which I'll need to gain access. Obviously mom's jigsaw won't do everything I need to do. Did you go from zero to building a body from scratch all at once, or did you experiment with assembling parts guitars first and then work up? I thought I'd get store bought parts first and build one that way. The work these guys (yerself included) produce here is really cool. I'm not thinking of starting my own company or anything like that, but I'm interested in the whole process of going from being a player to building necks and stuff yourself. I'm just a college-loan away from getting started (hee hee). :D

Hi

This guitar was built using most of the large machines usually used for guitar building. The rough timber was sized with a planer/thicknesser and a table saw. The body was cut out with a large bandsae etc.

However you don't need all these things to build a guitar they just make it quicker and in some respects easier. The first guitar I built I did from scratch with pretty much hand tools it took a while and was not the best guitar I have ever seen but it played pretty well and looked like a guitar.

If you went to somebody like Larry at Gallery hardwoods he would cut all the wood to the right size for you,this takes away any need for the planer or table saw.

You could cut out the body with a jigsaw if it was a good quality tool and you took your time. A hand drill would be useful a drill press even more so.

The one thing you would really need is a router. This is a fantastic tool, a bit scary, but you can use it for loads of guitar related wood working. You would also need all the usual bits and pieces like clamps stuff like that.

The first think you should do is look round at all the information on sites like this one and there are several more if you just have a look around, buy a few books as well Martin Koch's book is my favourite.

Better still if you can get into someones work shop and watch them or get them to give you a hand with the whole project.

Alan

Edited by skelf

• 2 weeks later...