Sycamore

Hotrock

Alright dudes,

I'm starting a new project, I've invested in a new biro and 1200 fag packets to draw it on :D not that I need them because I've had the idea floating around in my head, causing sleepless nights for a few years now.

As it's my first project, I rekon that it's gonna take a few goes to get it right. This means that the first couple are going to be done on the cheep (is it cheep or cheap - which does the budgie do?).

Anyway, Ive been given a very large block of sycamore and quite fancy using that to build the first couple of prototypes, it's not quarter sawn, it's just a cross section of a tree, infact it's still round. I know that it's sometimes used for acoustics, but can it be used as a solid body? Although it's a prototype I still don't want it to sound crap, just in case the first one is ok.

Also, I want to tune the body and neck for maximum sustain, anyone know where I can get some literature on the subject?

Cheers geezers B)

PS Brian, if you're ever in England, I think I owe you a pint.

I think I've answered my own questions while I should be working. Sycamore can be used for a solid body and I've found a string on the 2nd page of this forum regarding shapes etc.

Cheers anyway guys, no doubt I'll be in touch soon.

I like getting paid while I talk to you lot, it's a big screw you back to my boss.

Cheers guys, the wood is drying out undercover in the back garden (raised off the floor) and will be tenderly looked after during the frosty months.

My appologies for the late reply but I've been away working.